1997 - 150HP Johnson FICHT Fast Strike

thefireman

Hey there, was wondering if any of you own a 1997 - 150HP Johnson FICHT Fast Strike motor, and if so, how has it been? Has it been reliable, what parts have you had to change?

If anyone knows of some one who owns/owned one of these motors I would be greatful of ANY information.

Why I ask is that someone is selling one or wants to trade for a 70-90hp 4 stroke (which I have 90hp) and of course I always want more power. I love the 4 stroke for ease of use, ie: no oil to add ect... But would it be worth the hassel for the extra power and speed?

Thanks

Wasn`t OMC having trouble with a couple of their motors and that was what forced their sale?

There was much more to the OMC debacle than the Ficht.

Poor management led to their demise.

The Ficht technology has turned out very well in the eventual E-tec.

I think I would avoid the 97 though, very early version and it is 14 model years old.

I remember the first generation ficht motors. Lots of bass fisherman jumped on the new technology bandwagon and bought them for their bassboats. It seemed every tournament there was a few of them grenading. But if I recall a few years before they came out, they moved most of their manufacturing and assembly to Mexico. Inferior materials and quality assurance probably led to their demise more than the new technology. OMC was hellbent on being the first out of the blocks with this new technology and probably didn't do enough R&D before they put it on the market.

I used to have Johnson's, my last one was a 2000 150 Faststike (non Ficht) and I loved it. The one that you describe was an early version of the new DFI technology and it was very bad...they all blew up. I would bet that it has received a new powerhead, but what version. I would stay away from it.

Edited by Gerry

Bummer about the FICHT motors. The very same motor that almost put them out of business is the technology that put them back on the map today with e-tec. The early big bore ficht were nightmares but but 99/00 they had the bugs worked out and are pretty good. I still wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole just because of the stigma attached.