Steelhead stillfishing

fishinguypat

Had a dude high hole me LOL on friday after I landed the one in my october chrome post and lost 1 the next drift after, heard him swearing and then he started fishing the whole right beside me I actually had to move over he was so close LOL I was done anyways so I left a happy dude going 3/4 in a couple hours.

I watched a pinner and spinning outfit float "fisherman" lining salmon with their float gear Friday. ... Today I had another pinner lay the most EPIC lowhole on me while I was fishing. Could have nearly touched him with my rod.

I wish the bush leaguers would find a new hobby!

I'm guessing you heard from Jay about him and my buddy Dave "lowholing" the spey guys on the Manistee?

They were easily 300 yds downstream from them LOL!

Bill my friend you still have a lot to learn.

We should go beach fishing at least once this fall. ;)

We could have been down at Lake Manistee and in their eyes, we still would have been "lowholing" them!

Yep, no doubt about that.

Funniest part of whole story for everyone elses benefit, the cranky fly flingers were staying in the cabin right next to us LOL!

I made an off the cuff remark about being low holed and corn holed when one of them walked outside with a beer.

They were embarassed. :lol:

Hope your weekend went well bud, check your emails.

You've never been down to Port Hope during salmon season have you..

Lol I love how your always concerned about people flossing... I think you should stop spamming peoples threads. If someone is looking for help then maybe they are past snaging or they would just be using treble hooks or heavy lures I'm sure. Trout deffinitaly feed in the rivers and fishing in slow water on the clear side can call for no floats because trout can easily spook from seeing your float on the top of the water. I've never used eggs weights and bottom bounced in the river but I have fished trout with light setups with awesome results. Couple of double AA split shot about 4 feet up from your roe bag. Other then clear shallow conditions I would just stick to a float set up though.

Lol I love how your always concerned about people flossing... I think you should stop spamming peoples threads. If someone is looking for help then maybe they are past snaging or they would just be using treble hooks or heavy lures I'm sure. Trout deffinitaly feed in the rivers and fishing in slow water on the clear side can call for no floats because trout can easily spook from seeing your float on the top of the water. I've never used eggs weights and bottom bounced in the river but I have fished trout with light setups with awesome results. Couple of double AA split shot about 4 feet up from your roe bag. Other then clear shallow conditions I would just stick to a float set up though.

lol I love how you missed the entire first page and my second reply as to why a float setup would be a good idea.

Eyes open next time kid.

lol I love how you missed the entire first page and my second reply as to why a float setup would be a good idea.

Eyes open next time kid.

Yah well it's hard to keep enough interest to read a whole thread when people like you just spam them. If you had something intelligent to post then why didn't you include it in your first post?

Guest gbfisher

I river fished for years until I learned about that flossing rig :D Never looked at a river again until the passed 9 years or so. The falling bay water put a curve into the beach fishing for a while, where I fished them anyway. Still a great way for a good fight when they have the whole lake to run around in.

Yah well it's hard to keep enough interest to read a whole thread when people like you just spam them. If you had something intelligent to post then why didn't you include it in your first post?

He's not spamming anybody. "People like him"? LOL! :rolleyes:

I've spent a lot of time on the water with Bill he's a good man. In over 30 years of hardcore steelheading I've never seen anyone catch on as quickly as him.

He just needs to get out beach bonging a couple times is all. :D

Ya he better get on that... People seem like they are fed up with his know it all commentsblahblah1.gif

I concur...that seems to be what I have been noticing as well.

The OP seemed to have a well thought out request. No need to ASSUME the worst of someone YOU don't even know. Kinda gets people's back up.

To be honest the MNR should just close fishing on small rivers and creeks between late August till October 1st so the Salmon can do their thing. The fishing for these Salmon is not very legit, when they reach shallow waters all they wanna do is spawn not feed, Ontario is not B.C. where they have deep wide rivers where chrome salmon will gladly take your bait.

Open the rivers in October, so people can fish for trout and that way less snagging. And to be honest, you don't really need salmon roe that much, why kill a salmon for roe if you can use a variety of different flies and baits to take trout on. I know because I love using artificial baits and flies and they are very effective.

Edited by bongo

what are some good lures to use when casting out into the lake with sandy bottom?jigs?

rattlin raps ..cleos ...mepps...5 of diamonds will all catch bows chucking hardware out into the lake ..i prefer the rattlin raps myself since normally there is sediment in the outflow and if the fish cant see the lures.....they will hear it ..but they all work fine ..

edit to add canadian wigglers

Edited by Twocoda

To be honest the MNR should just close fishing on small rivers and creeks between late August till October 1st so the Salmon can do their thing. The fishing for these Salmon is not very legit, when they reach shallow waters all they wanna do is spawn not feed, Ontario is not B.C. where they have deep wide rivers where chrome salmon will gladly take your bait.

Open the rivers in October, so people can fish for trout and that way less snagging. And to be honest, you don't really need salmon roe that much, why kill a salmon for roe if you can use a variety of different flies and baits to take trout on. I know because I love using artificial baits and flies and they are very effective.

respectfully disagree bongo ...to improve on this the MNR should designate depths of a river as santuary ...5 feet or less is closed to all anglers ...i think it would eliminate alot of the problems ...and people can continue to fish in the greater depths...

respectfully disagree bongo ...to improve on this the MNR should designate depths of a river as santuary ...5 feet or less is closed to all anglers ...i think it would eliminate alot of the problems ...and people can continue to fish in the greater depths...

I respectfully disagree Twocoda. This would eliminate all the eastern tribs effectively killing the sport fishery there. Hell, there's only a handful of areas in the credit that's over 5 feet in depth. Also, people who would even abide by this would have to carry around a pole at least 5 feet long to check to see if they can fish it.

Salmon also do bite in rivers. I'm new to fishing so I can't really explain why but some days it is just ON to a point where almost every single drift was taken.

How would that rig be flossing though if there is only 1 foot of line off bottom?

It's not the 1 foot off the bottom that flosses exactly, it's the line leading to the sinker that can make it seem like you have a fish when they bump into it. The natural reaction is to set the hook which in turn snags the fish. Just keep the rod tip high to minimize this.

Twocoda, you got a point, but come on it wouldn't hurt too much if they close the shallow creeks and rivers for a month and half and yes of course (Dr. Salvelinus) some people will still break the law and fish a sanctuary and snag, but this will definitely be a benefit for both Salmon and Trout numbers, by keeping away most anglers for this time period. Again Salmon roe isn't the only bait out there that will catch you trout, so why kill a fish for it if you are not going to eat it. (And I love those idiots who slice a salmon's belly to check if it's a female, turns out it's a male oh well I just killed a fish who cares I'll just toss it aside)

Edited by bongo

I completely disagree with closing the creeks. Closing the tribs would prevent a significant portion of the public the opportunity to fish for salmon. It's a public resource and not everyone can afford a boat and all the equipment to fish the big lakes. Besides while some natural reproduction takes place the salmon fishery is essentially dependent on stocking to sustain it.

Twocoda, you got a point, but come on it wouldn't hurt too much if they close the shallow creeks and rivers for a month and half and yes of course (Dr. Salvelinus) some people will still break the law and fish a sanctuary and snag, but this will definitely be a benefit for both Salmon and Trout numbers, by keeping away most anglers for this time period. Again Salmon roe isn't the only bait out there that will catch you trout, so why kill a fish for it if you are not going to eat it. (And I love those idiots who slice a salmon's belly to check if it's a female, turns out it's a male oh well I just killed a fish who cares I'll just toss it aside)

I agree completely, but cant help but laugh the odd time I see a 25 lb hen salmon caught and kept to eat, but the guts and ROE tossed aside... never thought Id see that happen.

I respectfully disagree Twocoda. This would eliminate all the eastern tribs effectively killing the sport fishery there. Hell, there's only a handful of areas in the credit that's over 5 feet in depth. Also, people who would even abide by this would have to carry around a pole at least 5 feet long to check to see if they can fish it.

Salmon also do bite in rivers. I'm new to fishing so I can't really explain why but some days it is just ON to a point where almost every single drift was taken.

i dont think it would eliminate all the tribs granted alot of the sections though ...there are many spots on the wilmot harmony credit and bronte that have pools 5 feet deep or greater...what it might do for the ones that dont want walk to find them is ...move the fishermen closer to the lake so the fish that do make it through the gauntlet of hooks will actually stand a chance at going about their business...and thats not a bad thing ..plus the fish that are caught ...chances are they will still be of chrome colour and edible if one was to desire eating it and the fight of the fish would be more fierce then a dark old boot ...yes there will still be boots caught in these depths ...but more then likely they will be finished their business ...i know its alot of "what ifs" and "more then likelys " but it would keep the fish open for the reason they are in the water ...to catch as Timmeh stated in his post...its all about the sport and the great outdoors..the fish are just a bonus...

the craft of presentation goes along way regardless of the depth even the flossers and rippers will have to hone their skills at 5 feet or greater...

Just my two cents...