Line of choice for downrigging

Viscount

Hey folks!

This warm weather is making me anxious for softwater, so I can try out all the new goodies i've accumulated over the winter.

What does everyone use for line on their downrigger rods? I only need 17-20 pound I would imagine, so what's a good line with low stretch and slim diameter?

and what's this PowerPro stuff like? anyone like it?

thanks for the input :Gonefishing:

Powerpro, since its diameter is much smaller, puts less belly in the line from your rod to the cannonball release clip. This means that your rod tip will be a better indicator, helping you to see those little shakers. Use an 18 in line from your weight to the release clip, this helps too.

You may have to fiddle a bit with your clips so that you can put some tension in your line without either releasing it , or having your pp slide thru the clip.

If using pp, you may want to tie a fluro leader to be extra extra super stealthy.

If slammin for salmon in August, fleaficker line is the way to go.

Edited by douG

i use spinning reels on my rigger rods (personal preference) therefore i generally need all the line on the reels i can get....

because of that reason, i use 30lbs test, 8lbs diameter line, and attach a 8' flouro lead in 20lbs test as a leader.

hope this helps. most folks will tell ya to use mono on your rigger, but if your using smaller reels, its nice having 30lbs test strength, with that small diameter....

heed the advice about setting your line deeper into the clips, as braid will come out easier than mono.

spiny fleas also like to cling to line that is smaller in diameter. Flea flicker line is a flat line and it tends to not get the flea stuff all over it. If you use 30 lb mono, this will eliminate that problem. Smaller diameter fishing lines, power pro included, will pick up the fleas in the water and mess up your line. It sometimes is impossible to reel in the fish with all the fleas on it. The bigger the better.

I dont do Lake O hardly at all,but if you want to give Simcoe a try,I would recommend 9 ft Ugly stick with a 5500 abu spooled with 10 pound maxum or Andi. Green seems to work best for me.

As for the power pro douG,I had a guy with me use it once,lost every hit he had as there is no stretch like you say,so Im thinking the lure pulled right out from them. Just MO.

Take my post for what it is worth. I am not a salmon fishermen. Rarely does my smokercraft see water outside of Lake Simcoe. However I was an invited guest on a salmon trip to Lake Ontario a few moons ago. There were 3 of us in the boat, 2 rods had 20 lb flea flicker on them. The other had 17lbs mono. The mono would just become a mess with fleas. Do yourself a favor and get the flea flicker.

Me i spool my rigger rods with Seaguar Fluorocarbon 20 to 25 lb test last me a full season.with barley any break offs its not cheap but pays back in the long run ...other good line in Berkley Big Game 20 lbs....as for braided lines save them for your dipsys or planner boards ...

Great replies here! Definitely need to make the right decision.

I am worried about line capacity on my reel, that's why I was interested in the smaller diameter braids. Is flea flicker still the line to use if I never fish Lake Ontario? I'm mostly going after inland lake trout, with a couple trips a year to Huron's north channel for salmon and 'bows.

Edited by Viscount

Flicker takes up alote of room on reels ..go with 17 lb Berkley xt or xl both are great line for the buck ....now summer and fall salmon you want 20 to 25 lb ...Braided line is more for Dipsys or Planners Boards ...if i use braid on the riggers i run a 120 ft Fluor Crabon leader joined to Braid ..short leadeds and the Fluor Carbon will still be attacthed to the release clip ..unless your fishing below 120 ft you will wana make the lead longer ..