Long Point Bay

HTHM

I WAS going to go perching in LPB this afternoon, drove down from Hamilton, stopped at HWY 6 & 24 to pick up minnows, went to Port ryerse to launch, and some ass has dug up the launch and put armour stone in front of it. So much for that launch.....

I head down the road and every marina and launch point that I found wanted $20 for me to launch. It will be a h-e-double toothpicks of a long time before i dasrken those doorways again.

So I pooped away a day that should have been fun on the principle that i will not be gouged, on the bright side i did see some nice country.

Oh BTW, if you think I was being stubborn, yes I was, but i am not going to get "robertson'ed" by a marina owner either.

Likely could have caught 6-8 lbs of perch if you would have launched... last time I checked perch is about $9-$11 a lb?

Food for thought...

I would rather have had food for belly. And I still think it is outrageous to pay $20 in order to launch a 14' boat.

thanks dan - i might be incorrect about this but when i come in from the east i find it quicker to drive the boat across from turkey point then it is to drive the truck around to the old cut. if i come down thru simcoe way it makes sense to go to the old cut i suppose. it could just be id rather be in the boat than the truck. i think the boat uses less gas too on the same drive.

by the way by old cut you do mean in longpoint dont you?

Hey HTHM,

I agree 100%. In Long point I know of three launches which is all of them to my knowledge that are all $10. Also I think Port Rowan is $12 or something?

Where were you trying to launch?

Chad

From Port Ryerse to Akers marina along Front road.

if i get tired of the 20$ i just bring a guy with me. if he doesn't offer up the 20$ when we get to the marina i bring someone else next time!!!

but seriously its the cost of the travelling fisherman. look at it this way - you could pay 1500$ for a slip and fish the same water day in day out, or go rogue and fish new water all the time. 1500/20 = ??? i dunno alot of ramp fees!!!!

Docks cost as little as $475/yr down there

And yes old cut on the point

if i get tired of the 20$ i just bring a guy with me. if he doesn't offer up the 20$ when we get to the marina i bring someone else next time!!!

but seriously its the cost of the travelling fisherman. look at it this way - you could pay 1500$ for a slip and fish the same water day in day out, or go rogue and fish new water all the time. 1500/20 = ??? i dunno alot of ramp fees!!!!

Ramp fees are completely arbitrary, and are based on what the owners think the market will bare. If enough people don't use a ramp that they feel is charging too much the price may change.

I got hit a one once, it was $10 in and $10 out. Didn't know about the second $10 until we were loading up. :wallbash: I go down the road now.

Old Cut isn't too much further and yes is only $10...Inner Bay Marina is $15. Both under $20, yeah, $20 is outrageous for a launch fee, but, as stated earlier perch is pretty darn expensive in the grocery store as well. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, life is too short.

yeah $20.00 was a bit of a shocker for me when I first moved down here. Growing up in Sudbury most launches were FREE or $5.00 at the most. I had originally planned to get a season pass somewhere but I only have a 15 foot jon boat so my launching location on the bay depends on which way the wind is blowing. Most of the time I launch at Old cut if I can because it's only 10 bucks, but I often launch at Akers because he's about 1 km from my wife's grandmothers house.... that gives me a few extra minutes on the water which is worth the 5 bucks to me.

Bottom line is I don't have a choice so I just grin an bear it and get out fishing as much as I can afford to!

Cheers,

Ryan

I totally agree....$20 is REALLY gouging and so is $10 IMHO....

Here I think $7 is steep and $5 is somewhat reasonable....most of my launching sites are FREE (my favorite four letter word).

2 years ago I went to Otisco Lake the day before the walleye opener with my 2 sons to check out the lake....the marina owner wanted $9 to launch. I told him that's too much as everyone else is charging $7....he took the $7 and the next day we went to Oneida Lake where there was a FREE launch and caught several walleye, pickerel and perch. The marina owner on Otisco Lake will NEVER see another dime of my money and by the looks of his business he needs every dime he can mustard up.

Bob

One other thought that always drives me crazy with these launch fees.....Take Dunkirk Harbor in Dunkirk, NY....they have a very large pier there and two boat launches connected to the pier...they received federal money to improve the boat launch MANY years ago.....the pier I am not sure who paid for that but it's been there forever so I am guessing a LOT of federal aid paid for it if not all of it as it's part of the harbor and the city would never been able to afford it.

For boat launchers it's a $7 fee.....for those who park on the pier and fish off of it, it's FREE.......why do I have to pay to launch while every Tom, Dick and Harry can fish off the pier for free ? ? ?

This example can be applied to many other launch areas.

Bob