Improving Casting Distance with Small Lures

Golfisher

I'm looking for any tricks or tips on improving casting distance with small and light lures. I've tried adding some split shots, but this seems to ruin the lure's movement, especially when using a floater--say, a 2" Rapala Original Floater. Is an ultra-light setup the only answer for this type of application? If so, is it okay to match a Stradic 2500 on an ultra-light rod, or is the reel too heavy for this?

Smaller diameter line be it mono or based on spectra fibre is a start. Some reels are made specifically for distance and others can be tweaked (this should be something one can google; there used to be a US site in either CA or Hawawi that did this. Rods also play a part. It can be done and used to be fairly popular (distance casting) as a contest. Just a few ideas.

outdoorguy61

What are you trying to accomplish? I have used 2 inch Rapalas in the past for tough bass bites, a match the hatch thing. 8 pound test mono on a medium action spinning rod, boat control can make up for casting distance. I use a snap to connect them to the line no swivel. Light snap size 2.

Might be more of an aggravation thing for bass, it`s sitting over their head and just twitching every so often. Doesn`t always work, but sometimes, I am not afraid to leave it sit longer than most people will.

Make sure the spool is full(level). This makes for less resistance of the line off the spool. Use a line with little or no memory to prevent tangles. A lighter or smaller diameter line works best (I prefer fireline) A good rod makes for good distance and casting control. 2000 series Shimano spinning reel is what I prefer as well for using jigs for walleye..

Thanks guys for the input. I have a bunch of small lures that I purchased ages ago when I first began fishing. I bought them because I thought any lure bigger than 2 inches was just too big--I was a clueless newbie back then, and still am as you can see. Anyways, after having no success with these lures, I left them to collect dust along with all my fishing gear as I got sidetracked by golf. When I picked up fishing again a couple of years ago, I moved onto bigger lures, and by then I was biased against small lures, thinking that the bigger the lure was, the bigger the fish I was going to catch--they also cast a lot further. :P Then last year, a friend of mine caught a 5 lb bass on my long-neglected 2 inch Rapala floater off the dock, which was sorta eye-opening to me. But it was so frustrating to get any distance out of these light lures... :wallbash: and hence my question.

Thanks again for the answers. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm more partial to the 9.5 and the 11.5 light to med. lm8. the extra clearance you have lets the floater have more line from the tip of the rod (More weight and more innertia). Use in what l call a swing cast preloads the rod (kind of like a figure 8). Like a catipult, its about load and innertia to get distance but there is always limits. Good luck l will be trying some of the other sugestions myself. Peace

I use fairly full spool of low diameter, low memory line. Light mono is good, but fireline or powerpro is the bomb. Length of the rod helps, but I also have a 4 1/2' ultralite that can really throw some stuff out there. I think a light action or soft tip really helps. It has a slingshot effect that really gets the bait out there. That said, small, floating rapalas are some of the hardest baits to get distance on.