Trailer Questions

baironhorse

Some vehicles do have separate fuses for the trailer circuits, mainly to protect from botched trailer wiring and, if the trailer is screwed up, it will only affect the trailer lighting and not the tow vehicle. Each vehicle is different, check your manual, you know the little booklet that provides info about your vehicle that you should read.

We always had problems with corrosion and burnt out lights despite unplugging them.

Then I bought a set of magnetic tow lights and I just remove them before launching. Store them in a box in my vehicle.

They never see water, unless you're driving in the rain or snow/slush.

The magnets are fairly strong, but can pop off if going over potholes, railway tracks, bumps, etc.

I go the extra step and put plastic fasteners (ties) in a criss cross pattern around the lights to ensure they don't fall off.

Snip them off while launching (discard in trash bin) and re-apply new ones before leaving the launch area.

Seems time consuming at first, but as you do it more often, it shouldn't take more than 1 min. to remove them and about 3 or 4 min. to set up again.

You can buy plastic ties in bulk packages for just a few dollars. If you need more length than you have , 2 or more can be fastened together.

A few pieces of heavy gauge wire (insulated) could be used as well and can easily be re-used many times.

Hope this helps.