Project Centerpin

spinnerdoc

Ever since i have caught my first steelhead last fall, i found an itch that needed to be scratched....man the beauty and fighting power of these fish just amazed me. i fished for them like they did out west...drifting with a baitcaster...it worked well for me and i noticed other guys fishing with centerpins and wow that's a cool fishing reel. i was going to buy one...looked around and got different opinions on diff. brands. and after thinking it through...decided i'd like to build one. Yes, i am addicted to centerpinning.

here's how i went through the whole journey....starting with the fish that got me itching

steelhead1(small).jpg

backplate small.jpg

arbor small.jpg

front plate.jpg

after some redesighning bec it weighed like a tank and i choose stainless for the back plate instead of aluminum..here is the final result

front final.jpg

didn't get the chance to fish it much on spring this yeat and by summer time came work went too busy to squeeze in some fishing it's just lately that i got out to fish and here's the very first test for the pin....

salmon(small).jpg

thanks for lookin... tight lines

pin front .jpg

pin back latest.jpg

Edited by spinnerdoc

Ever since i have caught my first steelhead last fall, i found an itch that needed to be scratched....man the beauty and fighting power of these fish just amazed me. i fished for them like they did out west...drifting with a baitcaster...it worked well for me and i noticed other guys fishing with centerpins and wow that's a cool fishing reel. i was going to buy one...looked around and got different opinions on diff. brands. and after thinking it through...decided i'd like to build one. Yes, i am addicted to centerpinning.

here's how i went through the whole journey....starting with the fish that got me itching

steelhead1(small).jpg

backplate small.jpg

arbor small.jpg

front plate.jpg

after some redesighning bec it weighed like a tank and i choose stainless for the back plate instead of aluminum..here is the final result

didn't get the chance to fish it much on spring this yeat and by summer time came work went too busy to squeeze in some fishing it's just lately that i got out to fish and here's the very first test for the pin....

salmon(small).jpg

thanks for lookin... tight lines

Hey Spinnerdoc,

That is one amazing centerpin. I have never tried fishing with them, but I have heard that once you start, it is hard to give up. Did you just roughly size up the dimension for it or did you get them somewhere?

Thanks,

Rob C

Hey Spinnerdoc,

That is one amazing centerpin. I have never tried fishing with them, but I have heard that once you start, it is hard to give up. Did you just roughly size up the dimension for it or did you get them somewhere?

Thanks,

Rob C

i did all of the work from deign to machining...all manual machining.took a bit of time bec its my first and i kept on changing stuff.

Dood! I'm very impressed. Hopefully this fall I can give it a whirl when I head your way for steel. You ever planning on doing a fly reel?

Mike

hey mike how's it going? how's your trout-itis? awesome report man.

thanks for the kind words. this war the reel i showed you when i bought your fly reel.

i have not thought of doing a fly reel yet...when time allows i guess

like ive said i've been very busy at work

Edited by spinnerdoc

Great Work, i'm a tool and die maker and can really appreciate the time and effort you put into this...

I thought about makin my own center pin also, but when i factored in cost of material, machining and design time

i said forget it... i figured by the time it was all said and done would have been around $700+

That's a piece of Art

It looks awesome, Congrats!!

Great Work, i'm a tool and die maker and can really appreciate the time and effort you put into this...

I thought about makin my own center pin also, but when i factored in cost of material, machining and design time

i said forget it... i figured by the time it was all said and done would have been around $700+

That's a piece of Art

It looks awesome, Congrats!!

I'M WITH YOU ON THAT. IT DID TAKE A WHILE BEF I CAME UP TO WHAT I AM HAPPY WITH. I DID A LOT OF REDO ON THIS JUST TO FINE TUNE IT, BUT LUCKILY NOTHING WAS SCRAPPED JUST THINNED THINGS OUT. I'M JUST LUCKY I WAS NOT BUSY AT THE TIME AND MY BOSS LET ME WORK ON IT.

Spinnerdoc, that's a very impressive piece of work. Esthetically pleasing, and the fact that it's functional is icing on the cake. I too was wondering if you were thinking of doing a fly-reel as I scanned the posts...whistling.gif

thanks for the kind words but as of the moment, no. i did learn a lot on this project and would probably build a centerpin again