Fathers hunting/fishing knife

mercman

Well, here are the before and after.i decided all i would do is change the handle(it was made from a very soft wood) and clean the blade.Handle now is kiln dried maple,lightly stained in honey maple stain.The blade cleaned up better than i expected.I used steel wool and turbine oil,then buffed it with my dremel and some 'blue rouge' just for you aplummaclapping.gif ,and i can't remember what its called in french,but it took me 20 mins to get him to understand what i wanted.Bleu rouge i said, in french,he just stared at me like i was rabid. His boss heard me and came over with and directed me to the proper isle.

that stuff is miraculous.once the stain and clear coat are completely dry, i plan on polishing the handle up with a good pastewax and buff it.

I will use it for the purpose my father intended, and pass it down the line. when i removed the old handle, there was dryed up moose and deer blood between the handle and the blade that has been there for almost 50 years. You can see it on the inside of the old handles in the pictures.

In my eyes its still the same knife, and knowing him like i did, i know he approves.

thanks to all your input.

Paul

HPIM1698.jpg

HPIM1703.jpg

HPIM1702.jpg

HPIM1701.jpg

Thanks all !!! I appreciate the approval. Buying the boat and going fishing again resurfaced a lot on memories of fishing with him and my bro.Oh the tangles and knots we kids would end up with in our lines.He never got angry, just shook his head and laffed and went to work untangleing us. He was a warrant officer and was a proud soldier, but he was just dad with us.