rod case? Frabill?...new truck owner.....ever break a tip in a truck bed???

sconceptor

I'm onto my first truck and it has a 5.5ft box. My rods fit flat in the box on the angle, but I wonder how safe they are from breaking? Anybody have a tip bust, from sliding around inside a truck box?

I was already looking for a rod case for my 13ft rods for the steelhead trips but the new truck has me thinking of the other rods I own. I have a shimano rod carrying sling that offers some protection for multiple rods on my fishing trips. A rod tube with a reel section would be nice.

Anybody have experience with Frabill Port A Pole series cases, either soft or hard? They both extend to 8ft, and hold a few rods and reels. They appear to be what I'm looking for.

I think a rigid rod case for my truck would likely be a good investment. Surely I'll slide them in the odd time for a quick fishing trip, but long trips and or on rougher roads it could save a tip or two.

Thanks for your input!

Pvc tubing works well much cheaper than a rod case if you dont need to be fancy !

ditto on the pvc tubing and test caps :thumbsup_anim: when I had a full sized pickup and open box I travelled with my 13 foot 2 piece float rod in a case in the box and then when on the river I could fit the case in the cab of the truck and lock it up, at 80" it fit in a non extended regular cab. Get the wife to sew up some rod bags though vibration is a killer on blanks, guides wearing against the blank if put in unprotected.

ROD SOCK retail around 8 bucks. available for spin or bait cast rods, and in all lengths.

i have a six foot box, and keep my rods at an angle also. As long as there is nothing else to slide into the rod and break it. I also wrap a soft cloth around the reel to protect it from scratches.

Back when I still had a truck and was young and foolish,haha I broke a rod tip off one of my rods in the back of the truck. I have used tubes and cases ever since.

I have that hard case from frabill that you speak of which I use on occassion but I'll be honest its bulky for what it is and prefer the tubes.

I have a 6ft box with a solid tonneau cover. When I transport my rods (all 15 of them...lol) I usually just put them in on an angle, BUT make sure you put the reels towards the front. This way if you have to slam on the breaks, you won't end up with a bunch of broken tips.

Good luck

I have a 6ft box with a solid tonneau cover. When I transport my rods (all 15 of them...lol) I usually just put them in on an angle, BUT make sure you put the reels towards the front. This way if you have to slam on the breaks, you won't end up with a bunch of broken tips.

Good luck

yup, what he said! but its not likely they would move too much anyways. best thing is to get a couple rod straps and fasten all the rods together, less likely to move then... strength in numbers.

just dont put anythin in the back with them that could slide and break the rods... made that boo boo before and broke my favorite little panfish rod :'( lol