Largemouth bass in Wabigoon???

limeyangler

Hey all,

Well i had quite the surprise on Monday fishing in a small lake connected to the main Wabigoon Lake. I have fished this lake for bass (smallmouth) for 3 years now, some sessions producing 50+ smallies, but had never caught a largemouth before until this Monday.

I headed out armed with some nightcrawlers to try for bass. I chose nightcrawlers just to use something different from my usual topwater/mepps/jig attacks on my chosen quarry.

Literally first cast produced a bass, which i only realised was a largy when i lip gripped it and thought...holy ....this smallmouth has a strangley big mouth....well duh...thats cuz its a LARGEMOUTH!

My surprise in catching the LMB is due to the fact that i have caught 100s of bass here...but never a largemouth. I have never even heard of Lmbs in that lake....i called the MNR biologists and they were surprised too...pretty cool really...i think so anyway.

The rest of the 3 hour morning session was spent trying crawlers on spinners for a bit and a couple more walleye on jigs an minnows. Water temperatures have dropped 10 degrees already...however the walleye have been predominantly in the cabbage and still remain there despite the weed dying off slowly now.

VIDEO OF THE MORNINGS CATCHES

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTK-c9yakA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTK-c9yakA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTK-c9yakA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TO MY SUPRISE

IMG_0863-1.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0861-1.jpg

Haha funny to watch Jack play with the eyes.

Good catches man!

Nice surprise catching that largy.... good on you for telling the MNR too. I do the same thing when I find something that might be of interest to them.

Yeah..thought the mnr should know as i have never heard of anyone...even die hard local fishermen catching largies on the wabigoon chain....i am suspicious about how it got there, but thats another thread altogether...lol.

Man I never thought I'd see the day largies were swimming in the Goonage

Glad you responded Bushy....cuz i know you know the lake well, and your reply backs up what i'm saying...even long time goon fishermen find it surprising.

Yup...that is pretty far north for the buckets....but if anyone was going to catch one, we all knew it'd be you thumbsup_anim.gif The only way to top that is to pull one through the ice this winter!

That would be cool...i have still to ice a bass...largemouth or smallie.

Awesome! Love the waleye action. Also good to see some more action from you!

Thanks TB4me, More walleye action to follow tomorrow evening....headed up to lac seul with six dozen sucker minnows...should be awesome...wont sleep much tonite....lol.

Nice surprise on the LMB Simon... congrats on your first :clapping: She's a real beauty B):good:

Loved seeing the footage of little Jack.... quite the character isn't he :)

Looks like you have yourself a great walleye meal for supper B)

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks Jacques, Ive caught largies before on Erie, just not up here, and especially on a lake where they are unheard of...strange and cool all in one me thinks.