US To Approve Genetically-Altered Salmon For Fish Farming?

craigdritchie

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I would never trust food from a source that thinks this:

"there's a general consensus that overfishing is a fact of life."

to be honest i don't care what people choose to eat. i won't be eating it.

what's scary is the release into the wild.

Scary indeed.

There's always a presedence.

If I'm not mistaken many many moons ago the OMNR dumped triploid (genetically altered and sterile) chinook into lake o.

I distinctly remember the salmon guys getting stoked about the possibility of 100lb great lakes chinnies.

We're already living with a much more threatening consequence in lake Huron/Georgian bay.

Untold thousands (millions ?) of pen raised rainbow trout have escaped and are mixing with our wild stocks.

The current ON record was a mutant caught in the north channel a couple years back.

On a personal level it's a sad sad situation.

Edited by solopaddler

Complete failure by the FDA IMO. It sounds like the application had a lot of bad science in it as well.

These fish will get into the wild. There is no doubt about it. Some will be fertile as well.

Perhaps it's not that much different than stocking hybrids. I don't know. It just seems very irresponsible to me.

It is my hope that if you oppose these fish that you do not purchase them or support business that sell them. Since after all it is being done just for the profit.... :sarcasm:

A faster growing fish will enable product to be brought to market quicker with less resources sounds like a win for all of us. If by chance they do escape and they are fertile it will have all of the natural enemies and mortality of the native species it is not like the Asian Carp. Please don't turn this into the Carp argument it will only get locked.

Art

This really can't be helped, its been a long time coming. And maybe not in my life time but certainly in those of generations to come i wouldn't be surprised if everything was genetically modified, i mean how else do you plan on feeding 12 billion (future figures) people if not through science..

Worst comes to worst this Aquvue w.e may not be legalized in the States but what about the rest of the world ? what about India and China they can easily raise these Salmon in their northen areas. To feed their massive populations, just my 2 cents.

We already do it here with the triploid trout.

I think these may be quite a bit different than triploids. I read an article about these fast growing salmon a few years ago. It was due to flounder DNA being added to the salmon. It didn't see this mentioned in the article but I expect that is what these fish are.