Spinning Reels vs Bait casting Reels

Guest LivingLegend

Guest LivingLegend

Im sure this has been posted but I was wondering what the difference is between these reels. i have all spinning reels and I ordered a bait casting Shimano Cumulus Rod which brings me to my next question, what is the difference between baitcasting rods ans spinning rods. I actually have used a spinning reel on a bait casting rod! No problems.

Might be looking into bait casting reels soon.....

Thanx guys!!!

i recently switched to bait casting,and i love the control i have over my cast. i can stop the lure where ever i want it to land, plus, the retrieve ratio is much faster than spinning, at least in my case.

I still keep my flueger spinning reel on a rod in my boat though. There are still times when i need to cast really far, and i find i can double the distance with a spinner. Bait casters have a higher learning curve. if you're like me, you;ll get a few birds nests in the begining, but after a few casts, and some tips from the great ofnersworthy.gif you'll be fine. don't go cheap combo in the begining. i did and now have an extra rod and reel that i dont use any moremellow.gif go right for the good stuffbiggrin.gif

The rod you ordered will have a trigger to hold the rod with the reel on top. IMO spinning set ups don't have much purpose besides throwing light baits. You can fish every thing just about with a bait caster and you can have better control, longer casts and you can use heavier line. There are a lot of benefits to a baitcaster. Using them is pretty simple to, you just need to have some patients and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Guest LivingLegend

Sounds awesome guys, thanx! I guess now i have to research which baitcasting reel to look for, perhaps a shimano since i got the cucmulus and I got it for a pretty good price too $265............!good.gif

For mono under 10 pounds or braid under 20 stick with spinning gear. One of the biggest downfalls to spinning gear is that it doesn't cast heavier lines well. The advantages to baitcasters really stand out when you spool up with heavy stuff. Baitcasters and light line can work, but that's something to try after you get the feel for casting. I think that's why a lot of people buy a baitcaster and give up on it quickly. You're better off to learn with 14 lb mono or 30 lb braid. Birdsnests with light line are awful. And if you do manage to get untangled, you have probably damaged the line and created a weak point that you won't find until you hook a fish or snag up and your line breaks 30 feet from the lure...

Like mentioned light lures, light line? spinning gear. Heavy lures, heavy line? casting gear. There is some cross over, but it would depend on your skill level? and today`s super lines have probably had some impact.

Comfort and confidence in your tackle also helps, nice to reach down and grab a rod and reel and it feels comfortable in your hand and you have confidence it is the right tool for the job. The learning curve might be a little longer for some with a bait caster, but it is well worth putting the time in to learn.

Im sure this has been posted but I was wondering what the difference is between these reels. i have all spinning reels and I ordered a bait casting Shimano Cumulus Rod which brings me to my next question, what is the difference between baitcasting rods ans spinning rods. I actually have used a spinning reel on a bait casting rod! No problems.

Might be looking into bait casting reels soon.....

Thanx guys!!!

To answer your question; on a spinning rod, the guides are aligned for the line coming off of the face of a spinning reel. thus, the guides are generally taller closer to the reel. On a casting rod, the line coming off the reel is much closer to the rod blank, and thus, the guides are lower. The height of the guides is deisgned to minimized the contact between the guide and the line during cast, so as to minimize friction and maximize casting distance. Using a spinning reel on a casting rod, or vice versa, will increase friction and minimize casting distance. Further, the reel seats, as mentioned previously, are different for casting and spinning reels.

I hope that helped.

Guest LivingLegend

To answer your question; on a spinning rod, the guides are aligned for the line coming off of the face of a spinning reel. thus, the guides are generally taller closer to the reel. On a casting rod, the line coming off the reel is much closer to the rod blank, and thus, the guides are lower. The height of the guides is deisgned to minimized the contact between the guide and the line during cast, so as to minimize friction and maximize casting distance. Using a spinning reel on a casting rod, or vice versa, will increase friction and minimize casting distance. Further, the reel seats, as mentioned previously, are different for casting and spinning reels.

I hope that helped.

Thanx, that explains the difference when i look at both. I have been using a spinning reel on an bait casting rod for some time now.....funny thing is i have been doing very well with it. Anyways, Im gonna take this info and possibly purchase a B-casting reel and give it a try, if not I might put the Cumulus rod up for sale in the classifieds, never used $265.........Retails $349 not incl. tax.

Thanx again guys!