When we just don't have the drive to fish.

splashhopper

Last week I posted a thread about losing my closest friend(Hutch)unexpectedly, to complications from Cancer surgery that he had 8 weeks previously.

His death has rocked me to the core and I just don't have the energy or drive to even go fishing. I love fishing and truly enjoy the many hours on the water with a friend or two and even going solo.

This site has been a quiet relief for me with all the stories and adventures of those posting new topics here. The PB's, the back water adventures especially take me to places that I can relate to with my friendship of 17 years with my friend Hutch. Although he wasn't a fishermen, he was an avid golfer and that is where I spent almost 15 years with him and in a fellowship of people just trying to turning their lives around.

The common thread I see in this site and my friend is the CONSTANT support and encouragement for new fishermen( and women).

When a newcomer asks for advice or tips, this site always comes through.

Hutch was like that.

When a member that is a regular poster here seems to dissapear, OFC'ers ask about them on the boards.

Hutch was like that.

When an OFC'er has exciting things happening in their lives ( babies,jobs, new homes, retiring etc) they are encouraged to share that with us.

Hutch was like that.

And when an OFC'er has struggles in their life ( loss of job or loved ones) the OFC'er always have words of support and encouragement.

Hutch was like that too.

The sense of fellowship and support on this site doesn't always come under an umbrella label that says "hey we care about fishermen".

But because we share a common interest in fishing we also get to share in the journey's of each person life as they trudge along.

(trudge = to walk with purpose)

Fishermen are trudgers.

We walk and troll those waters in the never ending search of getting our personal best fish of our choice.

We try new techniques and new waters all the time just like the twists and turns of daily living.

When we find a place where we are at one with our fishing environment we know that we will continue to trudge just a little further for more of that feeling.

And the times when we just can't seem to trudge one more step, or hold the boat in to the head wind any longer, we try to enjoy where we are at. We toss one more lure or watch one more slow drift in the lazy current and let our minds be eased of the everyday trials and tribulations.

We are at One with and we Know why we fish. We fish to be with ourselves in a heart space of contentment knowing we are right where we are supposed to be for the moment.

When the urge to pick the rod up fails, we also know that the fish will call us when they know we are ready to do battle again. They will tease us with all the telltale signs in their environment. ( weather reports, water levels, changing of the leaves) They are always there for us whenever we pick up the rod to enjoy their presence and place in this world.

All fishermen are blessed with so many different personal attributes in their lives. But we all have two things in common which must be mastered when we are true fisher's of this world.

We must learn humility when the fishing is good and we must learn patience when the fishing is slow. These skills will carry us through most things in our daily lives if we remember them.

Hutch taught me to fish daily, so I may be blessed with sole-full life till we meet again.

Thank you OFC for being a part of my journey as I "trudge the road of happy destiny".

Sincerely,

Splashhopper

Hope your journey is a good one splashhopper, Sounds like you had a great friend/mentor.

However I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of not having the will/desire to fish :dunno: Somedays the will to do chores,go to work or even shave isn't there...but no will to go fishing...never.

Trudge along and make the best of it. You only got one life so get out and enjoy it. And for God's sake get out and fish :thumbsup_anim:

Be strong, golfers and fisherman have many things in common ... at the core its all about responding to an inner flame ... and sometimes that flame flickers ... but have faith it will will re-ignite ... just as the sun will come up tomorrow.

Sounds like you lost a close friend, but if you choose you can keep him close to you for all times, and now it is up to you to keep the flame lit.

Edited by camillj

The good go too soon. Sorry bout the loss of your buddy, however you can bet he wouldn't want you sittin' at home when there's all those fish out there to catch. You'll get back into it dude. We never truly lose our passion for fishing!

Well said. I finally took the time to sit and read this, and, I am trully sorry for your loss. Another reason why the Fish-a-Thon that Ryan is puttin on this weekend is important...cancer hits home for all of us at one time or another.

Keep fishing, know that it is what Hutch would want.

Edited by FRANKIE65

Well said.  I finally took the time to sit and read this, and, I am trully sorry for your loss.  Another reason why the Fish-a-Thon that Ryan is puttin on this weekend is important...cancer hits home for all of us at one time or another.  

Keep fishing, know that it is what Hutch would want.

Frankie65 has a good idea...take in the Fish-a-Thon on Saturday... My son in London has expressed interest in doing it...

Just like the other constant reminders I need to keep me on the straight and narrow...I need my mental health therapy (fishing) in my search for serenity our other friends mention from time to time... :)                                 

Frankie65 has a good idea...take in the Fish-a-Thon on Saturday... My son in London has expressed interest in doing it...

Just like the other constant reminders I need to keep me on the straight and narrow...I need my mental health therapy (fishing) in my search for serenity our other friends mention from time to time... :)                                 

Thanks Beans and Frankie....

"meditating with the fish" is very therapeutic for me as well.

And sometimes it is just okay to say this place sucks. You are mourning a loss - no time limit given there. I still experience the loss of a friend from 39 years ago and I tell myself to get over it - you never get over it. And therefore sometimes it is necessary to have that shoulder heaving, snot runny nose of a darn good cry. And be nice to yourself just as you would be to anyone else you knew who was feeling tender.

All the best,

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of not having the will/desire to fish :dunno:

Me too :dunno:

Like most people; have had numerous tragedies, losses, etc...fishing as soon as possible was always the best therapy for me. Would always bring a childlike enthusiasm (to me) from within.

Well written, Splashopper :thumbsup_anim:

I went through what your going through SH.After my Grandfather passed,there was nothing that could get me out there(took a year).Since, got through it,fished a couple of times, but it,s work more then anything, that keeps me away.Im not much into fishing after work.10-12 hours,ya just want to chill.

Well said BTW.Hopfully you,ll get out of this funk and be out there. :clapping: