water depth for smallies

bassmaster4

I tend to find smallies in the 10-17' depth but it depends on a lot of factors. Later in season I fish 20-25' of water and in November I have caught them in over 50' of water. Be careful if you pull a smallie up from anything over 25' air sac issues. fizz might be required.

Depends lots on the lake as well.

3 to 6 feet? Small mouth bass prefer temps around 68-70 degrees. Try fishing deeper. I'm not a bass angler, but this is a true story that happened to me in late July of this year. I was trolling my baits down at 100 feet (actual corrected depth) for lakers in a clear Muskoka lake. Guess what I caught? A small mouth! And I know for a fact that the fish didn't hit on the way down. I knew exactly when the fish struck the lure. I'm not saying fish 100 fow ... but give the deeper parts that are available to you a shot! Good luck.

3 to 6 feet? Small mouth bass prefer temps around 68-70 degrees. Try fishing deeper. I'm not a bass angler, but this is a true story that happened to me in late July of this year. I was trolling my baits down at 100 feet (actual corrected depth) for lakers in a clear Muskoka lake. Guess what I caught? A small mouth! And I know for a fact that the fish didn't hit on the way down. I knew exactly when the fish struck the lure. I'm not saying fish 100 fow ... but give the deeper parts that are available to you a shot! Good luck.

Wow that is the deepest I have ever heard. Incredible.

I was out fishing on simcoe the other day for smallies and started in 13' went to 18' went to 22' then I tried 4-7' Caught 5 out of 6 bass at the 4-7' area so it can be a real crap shoot at times.

On Lake Erie summer time I usually started looking in water 15-20 feet deep. some times they could be shallower or deeper but not often enough to justify looking until I check the 15-20 range first.

I really don`t like to fish for them deeper, but have caught them 30+ feet, and as Cudz mentioned if you don`t fizz them they will have a problem.

Other waters I have caught them in a foot or two of water, but only at night in the summer. If I know a lake has smallies, I start looking in rocky areas with at least 6-8 feet of water and move deeper.

You have to be creative and not get locked into a pattern because the fish aren't. On my favorite smallie lake, in the past 3 weeks, I have had big ones from 3' right down to 20'.

I think the thing that keep lots of folks from fishing deeper is lack of a good "search" method for deep water. It's easy to cover lots of water that is 10' or less with cranks or spinnerbaits. Lots of folks I see, when they go below 12-15' start fishing more vertically and slowly, which is less confidence-inspiring for most anglers. Try a heavier tube jig, loooong casts and a fairly aggressive "hopping" retrieve to cover lots of deeper water. Heavier lipless cranks, blade baits, and spoons are good for covering deeper water efficiently as well.