Vacuum seal for storing fish

rob v

I like to freeze some fish from time to time to eat during the off months. I've always had good success freezing my fish in water - keeps the freezer burn to a minimum and the fish seem to store well that way. This week I see Canadian tire has one of those vaccum storage systems on sale (sucks the air outta the plastic bag and seals the bag for freezing).

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with this type of system ?

I have one and have used for all sorts of things homemade salami, ground beef, mozzarella cheese (I buy bulk) etc. last year I tried peppers that are as fresh as the day I put then in.

One thing you have to remember that they use 'special' bags or a roll that you can make custom bags yourself.

Great gadget to have and I'm sure it will work for fish.

Her is a link on how long things last. Hope this helps.

http://www.stilltasty.com/

I have the foodsaver as well; work great, things last a long time when they’re sealed this way.

With fish I lay the fillets on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer for about twenty minutes and let the flesh firm up before sealing them in the bags.

There’s enough vacuum with this thing to squash the flesh if you don’t.

Dan.

Yup that's the way to go. I have used one for years with great success.

Yes, I've had a foodsaver from Costco for years, older model with two levels of suction, use it for everything, garden produce, meat on sale... always repackage dumping the thin plastic and foam tray and absorbent pad from the grocery store, fish, wild game. Greatly improves the freezer life and quality over the long term. :thumbsup_anim:

I now use a FoodSaver unit and it works VERY well but freezing in water blocks also works very well but takes up more room in the freezer.

For those using FoodSaver Units, you can save a little money by purchasing your bags (rolls) on Ebay. I started doing this recently and although they are not the exact bags FoodSaver provides, they do work VERY well.

Bob

Please add my X2 on all of the above re: Food Saver.

As a pensioner I basically shop once a month and always double down on specials. The Food saver makes it easy to store bulk purchases in handy size packages.

If you are near Milton, there is a store called Bomar that gets Costco's returns and damaged packages. They are located on Steeles just east of HWY 25...I bought my unit there at about half price.

Garry2R's

im a foodsaver kinda guy too...i like to smoke my fish and then run it through the foodsaver in PARTY size packages...when the boys are over ...break out the smoked fish and bevies of choice...

i also bought the containers for the foodsaver for storing my spawn ...works awsome!