How do Salmon see small single eggs in the current?

Guest Rapala Boy

Guest Rapala Boy

I've had a pretty messed up experience with trout and salmon in streams, I mean I've got them angry enough to strike a pink jig just by standing in front of them. The craziest thing i've seen was a salmon open its mouth to take in a small single egg. Coincidence? I don't know, but the way I sometimes see people force feeding steelhead in inches of water and legally hooking them in the mouth makes me confused. What are some experiences with trout and salmon that have let you know they really do take small bright things in rivers?

Roy, stay out of the water, the salmon and trout are after small, bright things, yah know.

HH

Well Joe, I can never be accused of being bright as for being small, I'll plead guilty to that one all day long. :)

You could ask the same question about trout in streams gobbling up my size 24 nymphs (less than a 1/4 inch in length). Their senses are tuned to grab tiny things and eat them...especially familiar things. They see it, they know what it is and they eat it. If its not what they thought it was, out it goes!

I suppose its kind of like you walking through the bush and seeing a lone raspberry on a bush...what goes through your mind?

Guest Rapala Boy

ahhahahaha....

Oh Ya.... it's the steelhead i'll be after in the winter creeks.....until I get a dry suit and still manage to kill myself in the kayak.