New to the boards--- Fish finder question

nroadrunner

Hey guys new to the boards ( been reading for about a month) Brief intro. I live in Muskoka just picked up a 12 foot tinny last year, shore fished before that. I run a 40lb min kota transom mount electric on the tinny. I picked up a Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 160 fish finder brand new for $80 3 weeks ago. I throw my tinny in the back of my ranger to go fishing small cottage lakes where launching is sometimes not easy. My question is can I make my fish finder prtable as I am worried about transducer getting knocked off n my travels? I was thinking of getting some threaded rod and somehow mounting transducer to that, then I would put threaded rod in one of the oar holders and secure with locking nuts. Will this work or does anyone have another idea?

Thanks

Ian

I have two similar Piranha models and have attached both of my transducers by first attaching the transducer to a small 1x2 piece of wood that is long enough to be clamped onto the transom and be at the proper level to get the best reading.

I have attached pics of the one unit that broke off when was pulling my canoe up onto shore (had the 1x2 screwed into place on my Sportspal at that time). Went fishing with an old buddy so I rigged the broken transducer up to a stick with wire...c-clamped it in place on his boat and it worked like a charm. I use one of those rechargeable batteries that are for 12 volt riding toys. The battery, screen and cable all fits nicely into a insulated lunch bag.

The set up I have on my Sportspal now is using at length of t track, so that I can just loosen wing nuts and slide the transducer up out of harms way before pulling canoe up onto shore etc.

Transducer 001 (Medium).jpg

Transducer 002 (Medium).jpg

Hey guys new to the boards ( been reading for about a month) Brief intro. I live in Muskoka just picked up a 12 foot tinny last year, shore fished before that. I run a 40lb min kota transom mount electric on the tinny. I picked up a Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 160 fish finder brand new for $80 3 weeks ago. I throw my tinny in the back of my ranger to go fishing small cottage lakes where launching is sometimes not easy. My question is can I make my fish finder prtable as I am worried about transducer getting knocked off n my travels? I was thinking of getting some threaded rod and somehow mounting transducer to that, then I would put threaded rod in one of the oar holders and secure with locking nuts. Will this work or does anyone have another idea?

Thanks

Ian

for 20 bucks geta trolling motor mount. im sure you dont bash that around too badly, so it should be safe for your transducer.

Welcome to the board!

I picked this up yesterday after I did my boater exam at Lebaron. It was around $43

P1030482.jpg

My dad modified it with a metal bracket-thing to hold the transducer in place better.

P1030479.jpg

I don't have a motorized boat but I plan to mount it onto my canoe (human powered). Jet and Frozen-Fire had both their units going with the same mount when we rented a boat on Rice Lake a couple weeks ago. Worked pretty well.

Welcome to the board!

I picked this up yesterday after I did my boater exam at Lebaron. It was around $43

P1030482.jpg

My dad modified it with a metal bracket-thing to hold the transducer in place better.

P1030479.jpg

I don't have a motorized boat but I plan to mount it onto my canoe (human powered). Jet and Frozen-Fire had both their units going with the same mount when we rented a boat on Rice Lake a couple weeks ago. Worked pretty well.

Hahahaha

The Last Picture Is Awesome. A Light Fixture Mount Bracket. :thumbsup_anim:

Hahahaha

The Last Picture Is Awesome. A Light Fixture Mount Bracket. :thumbsup_anim:

As a cable installer, I see one potential problem with this setup, no strain relief. If the skimmer transducer tilts too far forward for some reason, it will cause the insertion point into the transducer to crack the outer jacket of the cable. Make a "service loop", using either cable ties or electrical tape, then use a hot glue gun to protect it. I lost 2 transducers to outer jacket separation right at where the the cable enters the transducer, even with the existing strain relief on it. I used a hot glue gun to just goop it up, and made sure the cable either taped or cable tied to the shaft of whatever method you choose to use to mount it to your boat/canoe, had enough extra play in it so as not to cause it any stress.

Pic attached.

IMG_2051.jpg