Walleye weekend

frozen-fire

The walleye fishing this summer hasn't been very great for me... but this weekend made up for it :lol:

Saturday I got my first decent walleye of the year in about 17 feet of water in the middle of the day!

I proceeded to get another two solid hits after landing this fish, but failed to land them as the hook popped out on both. I was sure one of them was 5+ lbs... it was a hog. Would've been my new PB easily.

walleye1.jpg

Sunday, I got my 3rd ever top water walleye. I managed 2 of them last year. This fish created a nice splash when it inhaled my lure right off the surface. I thought it was a decent bass at first, but it turned out to be this beauty! :D

walleye2-1.jpg

How many dozen worms do you still have left? :lol:

Nicely done!

:lol:

I used up almost all the worms on Saturday. Maybe 1 dozen left in the fridge that I'll feed to my aro haha.

Too bad you were busy that day with the tourny. Knowing your skills with the spinner rigs as I saw on Rice Lake, you would've outfished us all!

Good to hear you finally figured them out. But how you keep catching them on top water, I dont know.lol

Yeah I know haha. People keep saying how it's so rare and that it mostly happens in the fall when the frogs are migrating to their winter hibernation locations, but it's the beginning of August!

All my topwater eyes have come off of minnow imitations!

In my opinion, the eyes come shallow to feed in the evening and if they are hungry, they will hit anything. Lucky me. :D

Those are beauty fish allright. Good on ya.

I have to ask you this though, and sorry for bustin your chops, but with all that has happened this year, do you really think it wise to be out that far in a canoe without a PFD? Are you an olympic swimmer by chance? Even so I think anything can happen why not have protection?

Sorry but I am just sick of hearing of all the drownings and would like to know if you or others can justify the risk.

Respectfully

:lol:

I used up almost all the worms on Saturday. Maybe 1 dozen left in the fridge that I'll feed to my aro haha.

Too bad you were busy that day with the tourny. Knowing your skills with the spinner rigs as I saw on Rice Lake, you would've outfished us all!

The Hamilton fishing derby is next weekend. This weekend I was cooped up inside fighting a cold (in summer!) :(

Those are beauty fish allright. Good on ya.

I have to ask you this though, and sorry for bustin your chops, but with all that has happened this year, do you really think it wise to be out that far in a canoe without a PFD? Are you an olympic swimmer by chance? Even so I think anything can happen why not have protection?

Sorry but I am just sick of hearing of all the drownings and would like to know if you or others can justify the risk.

Respectfully

I am also sick of hearing of all the drownings this year. Definitely a sad thing. I would never want to be part of that statistic. If you have seen reports I have posted in the past, I usually have my PFD on. People have even commented that they think it's great all the pics show me with it on. My avatar/display pic shows me with a muskie I caught last year. I have my PFD on.

I am well aware of my surroundings on the water and will put on the PFD or take it off accordingly. Yes, I DID have a PFD on board. I will NEVER go out on the water without it. I get checked by CO's on a weekly basis it seems like. Good to know that they are out there though! (Yes, I did get checked on Saturday) The PFD was on earlier in the day, and was taken off as the day progressed. No, I am NOT an olympic swimmer, and I didn't think that comment was necessary. As you can see in the pic, the water was calm. The PFD was taken off and put next to my seat (for easy access if necessary), you can't see it in the pic because my leg is blocking it. And no, I don't use it as a cushion. It is always within reach.

By the way, I am in a 14' square back sportspal. I'm not sure if you've ever been in one before, but it's near impossible to tip. It's very stable, and you can ask anyone on here who has one.

People blast by the canoe in their jet skis and big boats full throttle within casting distance without even acknowledging I am there and this thing holds up fine and has never really put a fear of tipping in me yet.

I am not trying to be an :asshat:

Sorry if I sound like one.

If you have your PFD on your body 100% of the time on the water, then I commend you. :worthy:

Edited by frozen-fire

Nice fish!

Can't believe we haven't gotten out yet and I'm gonna be away for almost a month starting this Fri... I guess we will wait till the salmon/steel season comes around.

You're always leaving!!!

You have a boat! We should take it out before it freezes up!

In my opinion, the eyes come shallow to feed in the evening and if they are hungry, they will hit anything. Lucky me. :D

Not just an opinion my friend, fact!

Still haven't achieved a walleye on top water but that's likely due to the fact I don't use them.

But slow wobbling minnow baits just under the surface can be quite productive.

Nice looking walleyes. thumbsup_anim.gif