Toronto Traffic Information

seanik

We have booked a 2nd Ontario fishing trip this year to Shenango Lake. We will overnight in Sudbury and then board a train at Capreol for a 5 hour ride to the lodge. The first trip in July was to Lake Nagagami, a fly in out of Hornepayne, a very productive lake, 2 of us easily caught 50 Walleyes in a mornings fishing/

I regularly listen to a Toronto radio station (680 AM)and hear about a lot of traffic delays and back ups. I will be going through Toronto on Saturday Aug.28 at about 11:00AM. The car GPS directions are: QEW/403E-427N-401E-400N. The 407ETR is a 40.00 round trip option. We have not been in the Toronto area for several years and I would appreciate any travel insight and advice.

Seanik

if it were a friday or something else the 407 would be well worth it. the worst part of the trip always tends to be the 400 from the 401 to the split just north of barrie. the august long weekend we left oakville at 230, took the 407 and hit the 400 at 3 on the dot. it took us over 1.5 hrs to get from 407/400 to the split.. and from there it was smooth sailing. on a saturday morning though i wouldnt be taking the 407, but i'd go qew/403 to 401, avoiding the 427...thats just my personal preference though. last few times i've been on the 427 there was plenty of construction. where are you coming from, the qew through burlington and oakville gets backed up all the time, even weekends...theres a bunch of construction along there and people forget how to drive when the lines on the road are orange.

ryan

if you're coming from the west you could take hwy 6 up to the 401 and take that across to the 400, avoiding burlington/oakville/mississauga altogether.... its the way we tend to go when we head north from burlington.

Edited by Dunner

A sincere "thank you" to all that replied to my request for Toronto traffic information.

We will be crossing at the Peace bridge, The Rt. 25 North to the 401 looks interesting and may require further looking into, but we will probably go the conventional route.

We will driving a Honda cr-v,2 wheel drive that gets about 28 mpg and probably will gas up at the 400 split. Any info on gas stations again would be a big help. My fishing buddy is some kind of Best Western preferred card carrying member and gets big discounts at their motels so we will overnight there in Sudbury.

One of the main reasons for this fishing trip is the 5 hr train ride to Shenango Lodge, havn't been on a train since military service, a very long time ago(1961).

A report will follow upon our return.

Thanks,

Seanik

Personally, I'd do QEW>407>403>401>400N. The 407 is good if you wanted to skip some of the QEW near Burlington, but the round about way it goes over the city doesn't save you anytime, only costs you money.

11am you should be fine on any of the majors.. All of the northbound traffic up to Barrie from Toronto will be gone by that time...

a few gas stations i can think of offhand, theres an esso/countrystyle coffee/subway at the cutoff for hwy 12. further north you could pull of in parry sound, or not far past that there is a couple in nobel and one in point au baril. im sure there are others but i cant think of them off the top of my head. realistically if you fill up in/around barrie, you'll probably make it right into sudbury i'd think.

ryan