Insurance deductible problem - nf

jat

Recently I was rear ended by a guy from Manitoba and now my insurance company wants me to pay the $300.00 deductible even though this wasn't my fault. They tell me I have to pay, but this is just stupid...what do you guys think?

Recently I was rear ended by a guy from Manitoba and now my insurance company wants me to pay the $300.00 deductible even though this wasn't my fault. They tell me I have to pay, but this is just stupid...what do you guys think?

Was there a police report?

My understanding of no-fault is that your insurer picks up the tab then collects from the other guy's company once liability is determined. Maybe there's some question of being reimbursed and they're just going by the book. If they get paid then you'll get your deposit back I assume.

JF

My understanding of no-fault is that your insurer picks up the tab then collects from the other guy's company once liability is determined. Maybe there's some question of being reimbursed and they're just going by the book. If they get paid then you'll get your deposit back I assume.

JF

+1

thats how it worked for me..

but out of province .. they can do whatever they want really ...

i used to deal with a car parts distro out of quebec, they stiffed me on a japanese front clip for my nissan silvia, i had no recourse .. kinda like dealing out of country ...

Was there a police report?

I went to the Accident reporting centre together with the guy - the police never showed up even though I called them. The only thing I am wondering is why the hell do I have to pay when I am not at fault...Insurance companies SUCK!!!!!!!

I went to the Accident reporting centre together with the guy - the police never showed up even though I called them. The only thing I am wondering is why the hell do I have to pay when I am not at fault...Insurance companies SUCK!!!!!!!

No Fault insurance was in part created by politicians. Why are you surprised it doesn't exactly do what we expected?

JF

Every policy is different, but if you have a deductible, then you have to pay it - simple as that. The other person being from out of province has nothing to do with it.

When you take out an insurance policy you can negotiate the deductible. You can take a higher deductible against a lower overall premium. Or have no deductible, and probably pay a bit higher premium. It depends how many claims you expect you might have.

there is a very simple way to deal with you're deductible... pick you're own shop to deal with... most will cover the deductible.. or hide it in their pricing.. does not hurt to ask around.. I did just this when I got into an accident with my truck. They wanted my business and took care of my 500.00 deductible.

G.

Every policy is different, but if you have a deductible, then you have to pay it - simple as that. The other person being from out of province has nothing to do with it.

When you take out an insurance policy you can negotiate the deductible. You can take a higher deductible against a lower overall premium. Or have no deductible, and probably pay a bit higher premium. It depends how many claims you expect you might have.

I have a deductible but did not have to pay it when someone hit me and was at fault. Insurance company took it from him. That was quite a few years ago (probably 10?) but assume its the same today?

Do you deal with an insurance broker?

If you do just call them up and ask them what's going on.

If you don't deal with a broker and deal directly with the insurance company you get what you get. Brokers are much better at dealing with insurance companies than you or I are. It's what they do for a living.

I once had an accident on the way home from work.

We had a tornado go through our area a few days before that took out a bunch of hydro towers. The resulting heavy equipment traffic really messed up the dirt road going to my place. When I went to work in the morning it was fine but when I came home I crested a rise at the speed limit only to find soupy mud a foot deep on the other side. I lost control and rolled my vehicle in the ditch.

I wasn't charged by the cops (they blamed road cons.) but the insurance company faulted me and made me pay deductible and raised my rates.

My broker went to bat for me over several weeks and got the insurance company to refund my deductible and not raise my rates.

If your in an accident in Ontario and it's 100% not your fault and the other vehicle involved in the accident has a valid

Ontario Auto Policy with Liability coverage then your claim is covered under the Direct Compensation Property Damage section

of your auto policy.

In your accident the other vehicle is from Manitoba and their Insurance Company is Manitoba Public Insurance, the Gov't!

Manitoba Public Insurance is not part of an out of province agreement that agress to Direct Compensation in Ontario.

So what the means for you, you have to pay your Collision deductible. You will get it back as your insurance company can

claim their damages paid back against Manitoba Public Insurance, including your deductible.

Once your adjuster get's an acceptance of liability from the Manitoba Public Insurance adjuster then your insurance company

should waive your deductible out of customer service. But remember, your dealing with the gov't now, good luck with that, lol

Shad