Monday musky report

Fisherpete

Trip number two for the new boat... my son Fishernick and pooch Milo along for this one. I usually avoid fishing on weekends, especially long weekends, but I figured "It's only a civic holiday, how bad can it be?" The answer - BAD. I have never seen this many boats/trailers/vehicles parked at the launch - there was probably close to 100 lining the streets for a quarter mile up the road. I was number 6 in line waiting to launch when I got there. :wallbash: Finally got on the water around 3pm, and had to avoid a few of my favourite spots as they were being thrashed by waterskiers, jetskis, tubers, kayaks... not to mention tons of fishing boats. Oh well, the weather was great, warm gentle wind and cloud cover. We headed to some less pressured water, and within ten minutes, the first musky was in the net. Not a big one at 34", but scrappy as heck and took to the air like a rocket twice.

DSCN1952.jpg

Within the hour, it was Nick's turn... and after a great scrap and some hairy moments at boatside, Nick had a new PB measuring in at 39.5" and thick! He was pretty upset that she didn't make 40"... he had set that as a goal for the day. Oh well, next time!

DSCN1954.jpg

Things slowed down for a bit, and I played switch-a-lure for a while... and finally got a good hit - which then came in like a wet noodle on my musky gear. Another suicidal walleye... lucky for him, he was 53cm... just over the keepable slot. Looked oh so tasty...

DSCN1955.jpg

Another slow spell... Nick and the pooch curled up and had a nap... only to be awoken by me hollering for the net after a spectacular hit! It was actually Nick's turn, and he brought her most of the way in, but this girl got downright nasty at boatside and I had to take over as she was barely hooked... so we both get credit for the best fish of the day, at 42.5".

DSCN1956.jpg

The last hour was slow as well - only a good smallie that jumped at boatside and shook the hooks.

All in all, a good day considering how busy it was out there... and after the lake had been pounded for the three days before.

Guest Johnny Bass

New boat? What was wrong with the old boat?? Yep, fishing long weekends can be annoying with all the boat traffic, but it looks like you still managed to catch a few nice ones! By the way. Nice gloves! :whistling:

Hey Dirk! I have fished Rice for all my life and never caught a ski yet... ok, not true, last year I got one that was MAYBE 12 inches while jigging for walleye... but that is it. That being said, when I am at Rice, I don't really target them, the bass and walleye fishing seems to take over. I should really give it a try, it would be sweet if I could start catching them on my home lake!

Seriously we should get out there soon... I will bring optimus prime! Did OK again today, 2/2... 30ish and a 42". Report to be posted when I get the pics from my buddys camera. Really had to work for them today though... the normal areas I fish all failed to produce so we had to go searching, and the lucky lure failed to catch a ski for the first time in two months!

Nice work Pete! I've also never caught a rice lake musky, and I fish it a lot too!! I've also never really targetted them in there seriously. I know they're in there though, I've seen them steal walleye right off my line!!

S.