Marine radio

walleyejack

I am looking to purchase a marine radio, not sure if it is worth it,but might be if i get caught on Lake O, any ideas on a good quality radio? done a little research, come up with a couple of Uniden possibilities. Any input would be appreciated,

thanks al

Unidens are good, one fellow on one of the other boards has one for sale brand new for $100 although I see the same one, Uniden Solara, for $109 at Durham Radio in Whitby. For an antenna, don't pi$$ around with the 3' noodles, get an 8', you'll be glad you did when you need it.

Yes, I saw that on the other board,not worth it to drive to Jacksons point for $100 when i can go 5 blocks down the street to Durham radio for $9. more.

thanks

Unidens are good, one fellow on one of the other boards has one for sale brand new for $100 although I see the same one, Uniden Solara, for $109 at Durham Radio in Whitby. For an antenna, don't pi$$ around with the 3' noodles, get an 8', you'll be glad you did when you need it.

I wouldn't go out on Lake O without one. I have a Raymarine unit, bought it on sale for around $150.00. I have a 3' stainless antenna with a coil at the base and unless you are planning to transmit from one side of the lake to the other it works well. I didn't have the available space to fold an 8' fibreglass antenna flat when not in use. I understand that the 4' shakespeare's work well too, although a little pricey.

I put one of these in my boat last year and it is a really nice radio.

It is one of if not the smallest fixed marine vhfs on the market. Plus it has all the features of larger radios. Cost is also reasonable. I run it with a base loaded 3' stainless antenna and get decent range, though not as good as an 8 footer. But 8' antennas look dumb on bass boats. :P

ic_m304.jpg

Here's a shot of it flush mounted in the helm of my boat. :D

new.jpg

looks good drifter, i will be checking it out at Radio World

Thanks for the input

I put one of these in my boat last year and it is a really nice radio.

It is one of if not the smallest fixed marine vhfs on the market. Plus it has all the features of larger radios. Cost is also reasonable. I run it with a base loaded 3' stainless antenna and get decent range, though not as good as an 8 footer. But 8' antennas look dumb on bass boats. :P

ic_m304.jpg

Here's a shot of it flush mounted in the helm of my boat. :D

new.jpg