notty salmon fishing

Drock6687

All the things you guys have said about the Notty are very true. It does take some persistence to get over the murky and log jammed waters, however that's also good cover for steelhead, I don't know if Salmon really look for cover but great for the other fish.

One thing I will say about the Notty, it's got some of the hardest fighting steelhead in southern Ontario, I'm glad they made Angus to Alliston a no kill Rainbow zone

The Notty always has a tinge to it, and the logs are another thing you need to deal with.. I'm glad I'm only 15mins away from the river, definitely one of my favs and most frustrating I might add..

Alot of fish made it up way past Alliston early in the season last year, which is great for the fishery.

Exaxtly why i fish it as it is my closest steelhead river.

So im off in two week..the week of Aug 14th...if we get a little rain next week would it be worth my time to spend a couple hours in the notty in wasaga and see if theres anything there yet?

Sporadic at best! we're not even seeing them near the mouths yet on g-bay, but that could all change in a week. I am thinking a late run this year. How about tapping into the Smallmouth which are plentiful in the gbay tribs.

Having said that, GO for it!!! you never know.

Tight lines,

R

All depends on Mother Nature and maybe a shot of good luck. I work in that general area and check the Pine River daily, if it was any lower the soles of my feet wouldn't get wet crossing it. Oh, and have not seen a salmon or rainbow yet, little minnows and creek chub are it. If I see any, I'll post.

Rivers are incredibly warm this year on GBay, I wouldn't waste my time there for at least another 3 or 4 weeks. When people stated that they have seen Salmon run up the Notty in past years in late July and early August, usually meant that the river's temps were cool. Salmon need oxygenated water to come up the rivers, and only colder temperature water really have that.

So im off in two week..the week of Aug 14th...if we get a little rain next week would it be worth my time to spend a couple hours in the notty in wasaga and see if theres anything there yet?

By the 14th there will be a few making their way up. Its not just rain that pushes salmon into the notty. A strong North wind will definatly push fish into the mouth. Also a cool night or two like last night will get them running too.

Screaming lines, smokin' reels and rods bent like a big C. Long gone are those years, unfortunately and probably never to return.

you can still get em in owen sound ...but not as plentiful...

the geen has turned a few salmon already so i would expect the notty to be on track

This may be a stipid question but what kind of salmon run in the notty from wasaga? I have only ever fished for steelhead so this whole salmon thing is new to me.

Mostly Chinooks - the Notty has a self-sustaining population and the majority of them spawn in the Pine.

Unfortunately the runs are only a shadow of what they used to be prior to the baitfish crash around 2003. The Notty used to get huge numbers of very respectable sized fish (20lbs+ were not uncommon).

Edited by wallacio

Mostly Chinooks - the Notty has a self-sustaining population and the majority of them spawn in the Pine.

Unfortunately the runs are only a shadow of what they used to be prior to the baitfish crash around 2003. The Notty used to get huge numbers of very respectable sized fish (20lbs+ were not uncommon).

Did a little assessment work on a small trib of the Mad. It was jam packed with juvenile chinook smolts. In August. Survival rates from spawn to September were incredible

• 1 month later...

looks like you caught alot as the ice was setting in, I will be trying different areas this coming fall. I figured last year with all the rain they went right through, guess I was right. Nice fish

Sorry to revive a topic like this but I'd like to clarify something.

Zone 16 regs say that Rainbows are closed after Sept 30th. Seems like a few guys are saying that they fish the fall (saw some pics of fish on ice too). Are these rules new this year? Are guys fishing even though the season is closed? Is rainbow off season different that say a Bass off season where your allowed catch and release?

Sorry to revive a topic like this but I'd like to clarify something.

Zone 16 regs say that Rainbows are closed after Sept 30th. Seems like a few guys are saying that they fish the fall (saw some pics of fish on ice too). Are these rules new this year? Are guys fishing even though the season is closed? Is rainbow off season different that say a Bass off season where your allowed catch and release?

Check the exceptions and year round fishing opportunities in the regs. A section of the notty is open year round for steelhead.