smallmouth bass

lakeman

Just wondering, how many of my fishing friends here on site... have ever caught a 21 inch long, small mouth bass on an inland lake....how long do these fish get usually....thanks for your info.....I landed one on the week-end.!!.. :thumbsup_anim:

That is a very decent sized bass for any inland body of water, lake or river. Most smallies will not get that big. If you're on Simcoe or Erie then you may find a few more that size.

For me personally, mostly fishing the rivers and smaller lakes, I consider anything over 20" a real beauty, and anything over 17" is a nice smallie. And I'm talking about actual measured fish, not best guesses.

Just wondering, how many of my fishing friends here on site... have ever caught a 21 inch long, small mouth bass on an inland lake....how long do these fish get usually....thanks for your info.....I landed one on the week-end.!!.. :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats .. any pics of yours?

Here are two of my biggest smallies to date

23" smallie on an inland lake

23inchsmalliewwohooo.jpg

25" smallie on another inland lake

PBsmallie6.jpg

sorry...no pics as i was fishing alone, this time figured if i did catch anything, would be awfully hard to keep the fish still!! and take pic at same time..Bob Izumu never saw any action like a had with this baby...first my line got tangled around the drum meaning i couldnt reel in..!!...second i heard big splash as she tried to spit the hook she was behind me..and the motor..not an easy position to be in,when your in a scanoe.!!.......3rd as she wrapped her self round my anchor rope, i had to quickly put my rod under the anchor rope and hold tension on the line, with the other hand..!! To crown it off, i quickly pulled her up as i struggled to keep tension on manually grabbed her by the bottom lip and hauled her aboard..by this time my heart was racing!!...One fish never to be forgotten!! :clapping:

sorry...no pics as i was fishing alone, this time figured if i did catch anything, would be awfully hard to keep the fish still!! and take pic at same time..Bob Izumu never saw any action like a had with this baby...first my line got tangled around the drum meaning i couldnt reel in..!!...second i heard big splash as she tried to spit the hook she was behind me..and the motor..not an easy position to be in,when your in a scanoe.!!.......3rd as she wrapped her self round my anchor rope, i had to quickly put my rod under the anchor rope and hold tension on the line, with the other hand..!! To crown it off, i quickly pulled her up as i struggled to keep tension on manually grabbed her by the bottom lip and hauled her aboard..by this time my heart was racing!!...One fish never to be forgotten!! :clapping:

sounds like a blast and a well deserved landing ...

:clapping:

Just wondering, how many of my fishing friends here on site... have ever caught a 21 inch long, small mouth bass on an inland lake....how long do these fish get usually....thanks for your info.....I landed one on the week-end.!!.. thumbsup_anim.gif

Caught an 18 incher yesterday,sent him back to grow 3 more!biggrin.gif Pics on its way in a bit.

Just observations, I have see a number of 20+ smallies from inland lakes and the same with largemouth, Chautauqua Lake in New York is a smallie factory, it can produce them up to 6 or 7 pounds and has been doing that since I was a kid. It`s just one of those lakes with the right mix for them. Water quality, depth, food supply, spawning areas, mix in a closed spawning season?

30 years of fishing bass tournaments and seeing weigh ins, some lakes have a history of being able to produce big fish, 5+ pounds, on others you can almost bet a 3 1/2 pounder or so will be big bass. A lot of lakes will produce numbers, seen a lot of tournaments won on inland lakes with 12-14 pounds for 5 fish. For me it was always more fun to fish lakes that you knew 18-22 was a decent day.

South of the border, smallies on inland lakes here aren`t all that rare, but big ones can be.