Canned Food

Fishnwire

I'm fairly certain the answer is no...but could I leave canned food at camp over the winter? What about unopened stuff in plastic bottles like salad dressing, BBQ sauce and pop, and also, what about stuff in cardboard "tetra" pacs...like juice boxes or beef broth?

Edited by Fishnwire

I'm fairly certain the answer is no...but could I leave canned food at camp over the winter? What about unopened stuff in plastic bottles like salad dressing, BBQ sauce and pop, and also, what about stuff in cardboard "tetra" pacs...like juice boxes or beef broth?

well if canned or bottled food freezes the containers would probably explode. liquids and solids tend to expand when they freeze and if they dont exploded they could cause the conatiner to open slightly and spoil the contents

Edited by mercman

Canned food should be able to last a minimum of 1 year on the shelf unopened, most I think would last 2 or 3. So I don't really see the purpose in freezing it. The high acidic sauces like ketchup/bbq sauce should last a few months in the fridge after being opened but I'm not sure about freezing them.

Since the ice storm in quebec in the 90s my mom keeps a healthy portion of canned food in the basement for that just in case winter.

Canned food should be able to last a minimum of 1 year on the shelf unopened, most I think would last 2 or 3. So I don't really see the purpose in freezing it. The high acidic sauces like ketchup/bbq sauce should last a few months in the fridge after being opened but I'm not sure about freezing them.

Since the ice storm in quebec in the 90s my mom keeps a healthy portion of canned food in the basement for that just in case winter.

The "purpose" of freezing it is because I won't be there to keep it from freezing. I bring a fair amount of canned goods in during the summer months so that I have a bit of an inventory there. Come fall, there is usually a twenty to a dozen cans or more that I bring out. I'd like to leave a few behind, so that they are there for the half dozen or so trips I make during the winter. Bringing stuff in from where the plowed road ends in the winter on my sled (there is limited room) is a pain. The more I can leave in camp, the less I have to bring. Plus, If I ever get snowed in or something, it's good to have a little stockpile.

I have some packaged dry goods (rice, pasta, dried potatoes) which can cary me through, but it would be nice to leave some peas, corn, beans, soup, raviolli, pineapple, mushrooms, etc...

I understand vessles may rupture in extreme cold, but if the container is not visably compromised...can I assume the contents are OK?

Also, what if the exterior of a can is rusted? How bad is that?

The "purpose" of freezing it is because I won't be there to keep it from freezing.

Also, what if the exterior of a can is rusted? How bad is that?

How about you store the cans into a cooler to keep them from freezing? The cooler is supposed to have a thermal insulation. Even better insulation if you dig a hole in the ground, pad the hole with some straws, put the cooler in the hole, then cover well the whole with some wood panel and/or planks. That will sure not freeze, unless your cottage is in the Arctic.

Rust on cans: if is just some rust film that you can wipe away with your hand/rag its' OK, but if the cans are corroded, I would throw them away.

From a quick Google search.................

There are two critical questions to ask to determine if frozen canned goods are safe to eat. Is the seal intact or broken? If the seal is broken, has the food thawed?

To test the seal, push on the end of the can or metal lid on top of the jar. If the vacuum seal is intact the lid will not move when it is pressed down. Check the seams carefully on commercially canned foods that have been frozen to make sure there are no openings.

If the seal is intact, the food is safe to eat, even after it thaws. If the seal is broken and the food is frozen, either refrigerate the food and use it as soon as possible or keep it frozen until you plan to eat it.

If canned food has a broken seal and has thawed, the safest approach is to discard the food. The food may have been warm enough for bacteria or mold growth.

A can will often bulge when food is frozen in it. If a can is bulged--and still frozen--keep it frozen in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw in the refrigerator. A can that still bulges after thawing should be discarded.

Be careful even if the bulge disappears after thawing. Look for any obvious signs of spoilage. Listen for the vacuum-release sound when opening the can. As an extra precaution with low acid food, boil the food 10 minutes before tasting.

I have seen can food in trapper/hunter cabins that have been left there for years and it was fine

I used some of the canned milk and left a few cans of other stuff as payment....

I am pretty sure they don't heat the place all winter, unless the hunter is there