a bit of scugog bass

alphaalpha

Well i finally got out to scugog for the first time on wednesday evening. The wind was blowing like crazy when we first got there (around 6:30pm) so we went to the west side of the eastern arm of the lake. We tried throwing lots of different things into the lily pads from right tight to shore to avoid the wind. Unfortunately being that tight to shore left us vulnerable to all the horse or deer flies or whatever they were that wanted an evening snack. As you will see from the picture below i think i may be a bit allergic to their bites.

We didn't get any action no matter what we threw out in the lily pads. As soon as the wind died down a bit we ventured out to the edge of the pads and threw into the taller submerged weed area. the bite started around 7:30-8pm and we landed between 10-12 fish and missed at least as much. They really weren't biting very aggressively, maybe it was the storm that passed over a few hours later (i was watching it on the radar earlier in the day). All the fish caught by me were on a berkley frog, yellow with black dots and fished VERY slowly. My buddy caught all his on a popper, also fished very slowly. All but two of the bites were very subtle and took some patience to get a good hook set. Nothing we caught was too huge but was still lots of fun as i have never fished successfully in as thick slop as we pulled some of them out of. We really had to move the canoe ASAP for some of them and lost a couple in the really thick stuff.

first fish of the night

P7210015.jpg

a bit bigger

P7210017.jpg

biggest fish of the night

P7210018.jpg

and my stupid painfully swollen foot. It didn't seem that bad last night but when i woke up this morning it was quite tender...

P7220019.jpg

Those deer fly sure are annoying out on the 'bog, I was on the river about a week ago and my toes and ankles were in so much pain from the bites. The 2nd day was the worst, it actually hurt to walk when a lot of force was placed on each foot.

May you have a speedy recovery, and thanks for the report!

The best medicine for deer flies is to wear socks and shoes, even if it's hot. Then you don't have to worry about the bites. They do the same thing to me and I just don't go through it anymore. I'd rather have stinky feet. July and half of August are always the worst or until it starts getting cooler at night.

That ankle looks painful!!!!!

Deer flies,

As you know, they really like to fly around your head, looking for that bit of exposed skin to land on. Here's a trick that really works:

When Mr. Deer Fly is circling your head, place your hand on top of your head, palm down. The deer fly will land on your hand, he can't help himself! Smack 'em with your other hand, step on him, pick him up, dig a big hole, place the deer fly in the hole and cover with cement. This should give you enough time to get away from him before he emerges from the hole, slightly irritated!

HH

Deer flies,

As you know, they really like to fly around your head, looking for that bit of exposed skin to land on. Here's a trick that really works:

When Mr. Deer Fly is circling your head, place your hand on top of your head, palm down. The deer fly will land on your hand, he can't help himself! Smack 'em with your other hand, step on him, pick him up, dig a big hole, place the deer fly in the hole and cover with cement. This should give you enough time to get away from him before he emerges from the hole, slightly irritated!

HH

Here's another trick for when they're circling your head. Put on a hat with a big piece of double sided tape on the back. It's like a flypaper hat, it works very well.

Heh thanks for the tips all, i have had lots of encounters with black flies before but have never swollen up like this. It's not so painful today as it was yesterday but still quite swollen. Would putting on a ton of bug spray slow them down any? If not i think i will be going out with no skin exposed and just sweat it out next time...

Just job! That ankle really does look painful though.

Did you use the setup you got from me to get those bass?

nope i was using my spinning gear, im still not that great with the baitcaster especially out of my canoe. i can only seem to get consistently good casts when im on my friends boat and can pitch it out kinda sideways and at an upward angle, so i need to be standing :blush: It's coming along though and the setup does work well, thanks again. B)

Would putting on a ton of bug spray slow them down any?

Maybe...

Personally I've tried it, and it didn't work.

I rarely and almost never wear repellant, but I tried it once a few years back on a trip when the deer flies were really bad.

I was getting hammered with bites to the point I wasn not even enjoying the day....

One would bite, and I'd squash him but there were 4 to take his place.

I broke down and put on some Deet based repelent and unfortunatly those little buggers were still on me like stink to a Monkey....

That being said I beleive the Deet limited the bites, and I've heard the double sided tape thing works really well combined with deet based repellent.

My guess is the deet serves to deter some of them, and the ones that are not detered get stuck in the tape.

All I know is I am a very patient and forgiving man.....I bloody hate those buggers, and have no love nor respect for their place in this world LOL!

Edited by Cookslav

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Looks like you may have an allergic reaction! My feet were butchered by the black flies, but nothing like that! Go see a doctor!

These suckers wouldn't even fly away when I went to smash them. Feeding heavily! There were dead flies all over the boat!