First time carping

frozen-fire

MJL invited me to come along with Jet and himself on Sunday for some carping. I couldn't refuse as we all know that MJL is the CARP GOD! Skunking was not an option, so I knew it was going to be a great day :thumbsup_anim: .

It was a neat experience watching MJL set up our rigs. Learned quite a bit about fishing for carp and the equipment used to catch them. There's no joking around when it comes to serious carp gear! :worthy:

We were finally fully set up at around 12-1PM with the sun directly above us. We had the pleasure of getting a prime spot at our location under a tree that provided much needed shade. :clapping: We weren't going to move!

Wasn't long before we started getting hits after setting up. These fish just pull. HARD. I now have a new appreciation for these big goldfish! :w00t: What a thrill they are to catch!

We ended up hooking into over 20 fish that day. Apparently MJL noted that it was a slow day. I can only imagine how my arms would feel on a good day! :blink:

On with the pics...

Mikecarp1.jpg

antcarp1.jpg

andrewcarp1.jpg

mikecarp2.jpg

antcarp2.jpg

andrewcarp2.jpg

mikecarp3.jpg

antcarp3.jpg

andrewcarp3.jpg

Jet made this vid of my misfortunes during this carp day. I lost 3 fish from the hook popping out and also slipped on the rocks while helping MJL land a fish. :rofl2: At least I didn't get wet :D

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvidmg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv297%2Ffrozen-fire%2FCarpinwithAntLongVersion.mp4">

Edited by frozen-fire

Nice going Mike for putting the lads onto carp...now you need to give lessons on how to handle a net with a carp in it...I shuddered and was waiting for the loud SNAP !!!

Photoz would give me a hit up the side of the head if I used his net like that...whistling.gifoops.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Nice going Mike for putting the lads onto carp...now you need to give lessons on how to handle a net with a carp in it...I shuddered and was waiting for the loud SNAP !!!

Photoz would give me a hit up the side of the head if I used his net like that...whistling.gifoops.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

:D I wasn't going to lift the net by the handle with the carp in it for sure! It would definitely snap. We would lift the fish out of the water by the rim of the net.

I was moving back cause the water was coming up and I didn't want to get wet, but lost my footing. Like MJL said, I need felt sole shoes :rofl2:

Guest Johnny Bass

WOW! What a way to break the carp cherry. Looks like you will be hooked for awhile.lol

Great vid. That was a pretty calm reaction, loosing that fish.lol Its like you were in shock! I hate that feeling!!!

and u guys didn't invite me to come along??? :( ... i need to do some carping soon, it's been too long

I asked him where Victor was, and he replied that you don't like fishing at this location LOL.

Something about losing way too much gear?

WOW! What a way to break the carp cherry. Looks like you will be hooked for awhile.lol

Great vid. That was a pretty calm reaction, loosing that fish.lol Its like you were in shock! I hate that feeling!!!

Yeah...it's not a good feeling at all!

I actually haven't given a serious try at that place yet ... only been down there with the family for an hour + limited gear.

I wouldn't mind going anywhere fishing with you guys haha, still waiting for that trip to come :D

Next time we need to bring chairs...

...And someone else to carry all the gear down for us :D

Can you guys share some tips on your setups? Coz it is easy to get snagged over there.

Do you need to chum the area?

Are there other smaller fish species of fish that will steal your bait?

Is the hair rig seating right on the bottom?

How heavy are the sinkers?

Do you need to chum the area?

You probably don’t need to chum an area. I do (or at least try to). Some guys catch them by accident while float fishing for other species.

Are there other smaller fish species of fish that will steal your bait?

Probably. I know there’s gobies in there as some people catch them down there. I use harder baits like boilies and soft plastic corn which they can't pick off.

Is the hair rig seating right on the bottom?

Depends where I’m fishing and what bait I’m using. For the most part, my lead sinker is right on bottom.

How heavy are the sinkers?

Usually 6oz but depending on which spot I fish, I can sometimes go down to 4 or 5oz. At times 6oz barely holds bottom in the current.

Taking a look back at all my trips down there, no 2 trips were ever the same. I've always had to adapt to specific situations and develop new tactics for each new swim I fish down there. The things I've learned down there I've also applied while fishing other rivers as well as in my carp fishing tournaments.