new bait casting combo

JEREMY

:thumbsup_anim: Go for it!

Try using a heavy spoon to get used to casting also.

Aim for the horizon past your spot, then stop the line when the lure gets close to it.

I keep the reel handles pointed UP to cast so that your wrist lays flat.

Use a snap of the wrist & let the rod do the work for short casts.

Adjust the free-spool so that the line stops spinning offa the spool when you just let a lure free-fall from the rod-tip to the ground.

ALWAYS stop the lure (with your thumb against the spool) BEFORE it hits the water on a longer cast to avoid a birdsnest!

Casting into the wind is harder than with it too!

Use good mono line to learn with..12# for bass & pike. :canadian:

P.S. Wrap yer hammer in plastic & that Gal won't get in trouble! :whistling:

Edited by danbo

Looks like a good reel, go for it!

I leared to use a baitcast using braided line. I foudn it was easier to undo birdnests becuse you can pull teh line really hard and not worry abotu stretching and breaking it like you would if you use mono.

The only way to get good is practice practice practice. Dont get discouraged if you cant cast well right away.

I would avoid castign into heavy winds until you have a solid feel for teh reel.

Thanx guys i thought it looked good but wanted advice from someone who actually uses baitcasting stuff.Also DANBO its ok after the baby gets here and everything is allgood i am going to see the doc so he can take the hammers power away.Then i can hammer like a rabbit and not have to worry about the plastic.

Thanx again JEREMY

The new Abu Garcia Revo series is one of the best on the market regardless of money!!!!! Team it up on Bass Pro site with a bionic blade...that is an awesome reel...it is available in a 6.4:1 series and a high speed 7.1:4 series. Seriously it is worth a look. Bass Pro has it in a combo too.

a good tip while learning how to use a baitcaster is

make the longest cast you can or let out the amount of line you think you can cast then let out about 20 more ft of line and put electrical tape around the line on the spool and reel the line back in now when you cast you will not get a big birds nest

because it will stop at the tape, if you get better and more distance on your casts just let out more line and reapply the tape...should you get a big fish on that makes a run, it will pop the tape with no problem

great to have the tape on when flipping and pitching too

and if you have to cast into a strong wind the tape can save the day

I have the flyer and if you look really close you can see me at the dave mercer seminar across from his elbow in the red sweater its kindof like a wheres waldo book lol .Thats the combo i am looking at but i will be looking at others aswell at the sportsman show and at bps.Thanx again for your thoughts guys.

Edited by JEREMY

I dont use baitcasting gear and wanted advice from people who use that kind of gear.Its all been spinning gear for me.By no means i did mean it the way it came out.I do appreciate the info everybody has given thax again.

JEREMY

Jeremy,

There are all kinds of quality baitcasters out there, check out what BPS might have at their Spring Classic! Remember probably the most important side of baitcasting is in the set up! Get your reel set up properly and it will be a much more enjoyable experience!

Dave

Hi David,

I purchased a BC reel and rod last year and am very happy with it now- hated it at first because I couldn't get the hang of it. I have a Quantum Accurist reel w/ 7' MH BPS (Bionic) rod setup. Could you explain a little bit more about getting the reel setup properly? I think I should be getting more distance with my casts and actually asked a Quantum rep at the fishing show. He suggested putting a drop of "Hot Sauce" (oil) on the bearings. Is there more stuff I could look at?

Sorry Jeremy, I don't want to hijack your thread, but was thinking we could both learn. :D