Back From New Brunswick Part 2

Stern Rules

Guest Johnny Bass

Looks like your family has a nice farm. I like the chain pickerel. And my dad used to tell me there were eels in rice lake(hastings dam to be exact) at one time. And you would catch them at night. But you'd have to reel fast or they would wrap themselves around rocks or sticks and you couldn't move them.

Cool, never seen a chain pickerel before, nor a baby turkey :D Looks like a nice farm.

Really great pics. I'd like to try that eel - maybe one day :thumbsup_anim:

Hope the people in that accident were okay!

Joey

great pics on both part I & II.

good to see the eel population is apparently OK out east. ontario used to have lots but the population has crashed to the point they are protected. i guess they don't make it all the way up the st. lawrence. eel are great in the smoker btw.

Guest Johnny Bass

good to see the eel population is apparently OK out east. ontario used to have lots but the population has crashed to the point they are protected. i guess they don't make it all the way up the st. lawrence. eel are great in the smoker btw.

I've tried barbequed eels at the sushi bar and they taste ok!

That is the strangest bullhead I've ever seen. I lived and fished in NB for nearly 30 years and only caught a few but not one like that. It looks like a genetic mutation known as piebald found in mammals and reptiles.

I used to fish eels a lot, they are very common in NB, it wasn't unusual to catch them well over 4 feet. I have a picture of me with one that I caught that is longer then I am, well was at the time. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time.

you're pics are making me miss home!! been 2 years since i've been home and i can't wait to go next summer. taking my little girl to show her daddy's "stomping grounds" of Fredericton and the outskirts. spent 2 months a year for 6 years there with my grandparents after we moved to Ontario, best years of my life!!!!!.....BAR NONE!!!!!!! got the flag tatooed on my heart to prove it! thank you soooooooo much for the pics, really enjoyed them. is that a new highway thru Fundy with the pics of the rock cuts?

Jesse

from Lake George, N.B.

Edited by kenzy31

That is the strangest bullhead I've ever seen. I lived and fished in NB for nearly 30 years and only caught a few but not one like that. It looks like a genetic mutation known as piebald found in mammals and reptiles.

I used to fish eels a lot, they are very common in NB, it wasn't unusual to catch them well over 4 feet. I have a picture of me with one that I caught that is longer then I am, well was at the time. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time.

That was the first time I've seen a bullhead like. I thought the black ones were different but that one definately was different. I'd like to see that pic of you and the eel. I've heard friends tell me they've caught bigger ones but no luck this year. That was a good size for me but I wouldn't mind bigger ones.

I've heard eels are good smoked but can't use a smoker at my apt. I'd love to get into smoking game.

you're pics are making me miss home!! been 2 years since i've been home and i can't wait to go next summer. taking my little girl to show her daddy's "stomping grounds" of Fredericton and the outskirts. spent 2 months a year for 6 years there with my grandparents after we moved to Ontario, best years of my life!!!!!.....BAR NONE!!!!!!! got the flag tatooed on my heart to prove it! thank you soooooooo much for the pics, really enjoyed them. is that a new highway thru Fundy with the pics of the rock cuts?

Jesse

from Lake George, N.B.

Yeah that was the new road going thru the Fundy Trail Parkway past St. Martins. They're still working on another section as seen in one of the pics. First time I've been thru there and I wanted to see the bridge they put over Big Salmon River.

Great report, haven't seen chain pics since I was a teen staying with my uncle in NS. New Brunswick is another beautiful province and good fishing to boot.

As for eel. Yeech! The oldtimers would get them in traps and drop them live into a sack of coarse salt. Then they would clean them and either brine them or smoke them.

Thanks for sharing your trip / reports with us SternR :thumbsup_anim:

Great pics and the scenery shots are just breath taking B):clapping:

Question: What's that at the end of the line???

101_1885.jpg

Leechman

That would be a bullhead, Leechman. This was the first year I've seen one like that.