Soffit And Fascia (NF)

solopaddler

There was a large unfinished 16'X8' shed in my new backyard that was in need of siding, soffit and fascia.

I've been working on it for the last 3 days and I'm finally done minus the staining of the wood. (thank God :)).

I consider myself fairly handy but I've never installed soffit and fascia before.

My God what a nightmare LOL! I will never attempt to do that by myself again.

I probably should have posted a how-to question before I started, but it's done now.

I have nothing overly important to say here, just venting my relief.

I'll post a couple of before/after pic's when I'm done staining.

Off to bed now. :)

before my accident i owned a contracting company that dealt strictly with soffit/fascia/siding. it can be a daunting task for some but with some practice you could turn out entire houses plus the gables in a day. glad you got it done! way to not let the aluminum win lol! you use aluminum finishing nails on the fascia?

before my accident i owned a contracting company that dealt strictly with soffit/fascia/siding. it can be a daunting task for some but with some practice you could turn out entire houses plus the gables in a day. glad you got it done! way to not let the aluminum win lol! you use aluminum finishing nails on the fascia?

I'm sure someone with experience could've hammered the job out in an afternoon.

Yep, I used aluminum finishing nails, and yes I'm glad it's done too. :)

Is this an attempt at offering up an (feeble) excuse for the lack of fishing reports Mike. whistling.gif

Basically yeah. :D

(Although I do have something to report from NW Quebec. Just havn't had the time).

I'm sure someone with experience could've hammered the job out in an afternoon.

Basically yeah. :D

(Although I do have something to report from NW Quebec. Just havn't had the time).

Well I can't believe you were able to find the time. None the less I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for. :)

Unless your doing one inch Knotches----find onther use for those yellows

Some examples are.....

Doorstop..

Beer opener..

Something to take your frustrations out with a hammer..

Cutting the hair of someone you don't like while they sleep..

Macho thing to hang on your rear view mirror in Hamilton..

Lending to that guy to cut his toenails who all believe may be Hygenically challenged.. :w00t:

Seriously though--remember "Red Handles" although you hold in your right hand cut "Left"

Green Handles cut right and many handy guys cut soffit with Pattern snips.

An air stapler is the cats meow for soffit.

I use it alot at work for soffit and it works great.

Keep that in mind for next time if you have a compressor and air stapler available.

Glad to see you got it done Mike!

TDunn

Air stapler is the way to go for speed ...or if you have a roofing gun you can always put the soffit up with that as well...fascia will cover the nails...

For cutting soffit you can use a compound mitre saw ..three sheets at a time (wear safety glasses) set up a jig and away ya go ...( aluminum is equivalent to a knot in wood)

So are you saying you have no desire to moonlight as a sider???lol...its actually one aspect of a build i look forward to ...its almost instant gratification to your labours...(kinda like rolling out sod )

Cheers

I like to use a small screw and battery drill for soffit and aluminum nails for fascia

I cut soffit with a skillsaw on a table pull the saw backwards and they cut nice

I tried using my skillsaw but stopped when I was getting showered with little chunks of metal.

Didn't pull the saw backwards though, good tip!

I tried using my skillsaw but stopped when I was getting showered with little chunks of metal.

Didn't pull the saw backwards though, good tip!

Saw blade backwards and and a quality blade makes a difference.Learned my lesson once, using someone elses cheapo at the shop.Cutting 3/8 alum flat bar.Ouch!!!!!

Glad to see you finished your project Mike... I have some finishing touches to get done to the house this week and have ZERO ambition to do it because I'm selling the house... also don't really have the money to do it but John told me to get my rear in gear and get it done if I want to sell the place!

cheers,

Ryan