A week on Sans Souci & G-Bay Report

Hey Folks,

A big group of us went up to Frying Pan Island/Sans Souci on Georgian Bay last week for a week of drinks, fishing, and good times (though not necessarily in that order).

Here's the boat we were using for the week. It has been in my buddies family for 30 years and he's recently put a lot of Blood, Sweat, tears, and MONEY into it. It's a 19ft Bayliner with a 115 E-Tech.

TheRig.jpg?t=1279400487

We also had a welcoming party swimming around our dock upon arrival:

028.jpg?t=1279401211

We started by heading out to the big water (big mistake - explain later) to put the riggers down for some Salmon or Lakers. I put on the good old Purple & Black Nasty Boy and this was my reward:

Laker.jpg?t=1279400641

He weighed in at almost 13lbs. He was saved for the pan as he was too blown to put back. Our revival efforts were in vain.

Also saved for the pan:

046.jpg?t=1279400753

That laker was just a tad over 11lbs.

The Rubber Boot Lunch (delicious):

RubberBootLunch.jpg?t=1279400819

The bassing throughout the week was average. Each fish caught was 2lbs minimum though. We also had two people we were fishing with catch 2 5lb SMB on a double header off a shoal. I dialed up most bass on double-grub tail jig setups. Sadly this is the lone bass photo of the week:

SMB.jpg?t=1279400956

Then it was a somber moment during the week. We were reduced to putting our flag at half-mast. See you in 4 years:

HalfMast.jpg?t=1279401038

Our last night there was our best night there - as is generally the case on big-water fishing trips. On a night like this, you just know the fishing is going to be good:

063.jpg?t=1279401110

054.jpg?t=1279401157

We marked fish like crazy after the intense heat wave - they were all holding to bottom and we marked them thick and heavy for miles and miles:

Two of our rewards:

A good pike:

Pike.jpg?t=1279401297

The photo doesn't do him justice - he was a hog caught right off the bottom. He provided the fight of the week and it was a great battle. The battle didn't end in the water - he decided to crap all over Nate's boat, just missing his arm:

062.jpg?t=1279401424

@ 9:15 on our last night the lake decided to reward me with the ever-rare Georgian Bay Chinook. It was the 4th different species we caught right off the bottom in an hour to end our trip. A beautiful close to a beautiful week:

Salmon.jpg?t=1279401514

All and All we caught Pike, Bass, Pickerel, Crappie, Salmon & Lake Trout. All fish were revived and safely returned for another angler save for two tasty lakers.

It was a great week and we can't wait to go back next year!

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Yeah, I forgot to elaborate on the "big water." The fish turned out not to be out deep . . . they were right in the inner channels the entire time, holding to bottom at about 55 feet. We assumed they'd be out deeper anywhere from 100-250ft, but they were right under our noses. The salmon was caught within visual of our cottage in the interior channel.

"Why was the boat spinning in circles?" say the people at the cottage.

"because we were landing (explitive) fish for the last 45 minutes"

great report! THat boat sure does look as old as you say! Wow he did a great job on her!

Cheers!

Yeah, he's done a lot of good work on it and it looks like new now. Unfortunately we had to buy one of those "island marina" priced bilge pumps while we were there :wallbash:

Looks like a great week out on Georgian Bay. I always find when fishing new water, you tend to go out further from your starting point than needed and that its always by the end of the week that you have figured out the fishing for that week.

What a beautiful part of Georgian Bay. Even if the fish aren't biting it's a great place to be.

Did you guys get a measurement on the pike? It does look pretty big.

Unfortunately we didn't get a measurement on the pike. Though, he was much fatter than he was long. He was hooked pretty deep and it took two of us a good few minutes to get the treble out of him while also guarding all our appendages (had huge teeth). We had time to snap a quick photo and he went back in for revival & release.