Belwood or conestogo

fishinguypat

Just don't get into the water. A friend of mind is studying the lake and there is a nasty bacteria in the water that can make you pretty sick.

Can you elaborate on that?

I have a place on the lake....just finished swimming with the kids for the past week and a half, and I Gaurentee the kids sucked a bit of water back accidentally.

Belwood is generally a pretty clean lake out side of the occasional hot weather spell that prompts and E-coli warning.

No differnt then most beaches around.

Cool thanks,

The kids and I seem to be fine, and I do occasionaly consume fish from the lake, and enjoy it.

So I appreciate the corespondance.

I've fished a few reservoirs in SW ontario that are succeptable to cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) but from what I've read its still ok to consume fish just not their internals (stomach, liver etc).

Not sure if Belwood is the case but probably...the excess phosporus and nitrates in the water from runoff seem to cause it.

Its too bad there is such a shortage in funding for the SW Ontario conservation areas.

There are many good fishing lakes that could be improved by managing the water better and possibly adding aerators to them.

I've just about had it with this area's water quality and need to move back to the Kawarthas or up north! :wallbash:

I've heard countless people complain about the shape their boats are in when they take them out of those two lakes as well . . . sludgy and gross. They are predominantly recreational lakes, but Belwood has a decent fishery.

Also, you can rest assured that the gentleman who runs Belwood - Derek Strub - cares very much about the fishery as he is a professional angler. It is a lake in good hands, funded or not.

Can you elaborate on that?

I have a place on the lake....just finished swimming with the kids for the past week and a half, and I Gaurentee the kids sucked a bit of water back accidentally.

Belwood is generally a pretty clean lake out side of the occasional hot weather spell that prompts and E-coli warning.

No differnt then most beaches around.

Is this a bad time to say i extensively swam in there two weeks ago :blink::stretcher:

I've heard countless people complain about the shape their boats are in when they take them out of those two lakes as well . . . sludgy and gross. They are predominantly recreational lakes, but Belwood has a decent fishery.

Also, you can rest assured that the gentleman who runs Belwood - Derek Strub - cares very much about the fishery as he is a professional angler. It is a lake in good hands, funded or not.

I could already tell when i went that belwood had more of a fishing apeal to it then conestogo... the pure amount of boats and jet ski's on conestogo makes me want to vommit... my father dsays its never been as bad now then its ever been the toxic gases and exhaust kills the fish and is just plain bad

which lake has better fishing this time of year for pike and bass?

i fished conestogo yesterday and caught 4 nice walleyes, 2 bass, 2 pike, and a couple of perch, it was my first time on the lake and had a hard time to find a pattern but once i got a good pattern going i caught fish everywhere on the lake.

i fished conestogo yesterday and caught 4 nice walleyes, 2 bass, 2 pike, and a couple of perch, it was my first time on the lake and had a hard time to find a pattern but once i got a good pattern going i caught fish everywhere on the lake.

That is an EXCEPTIONAL day for Conestoga Lake and should not be viewed as the norm there at all. They actually wanted people to report Walleye catches for awhile (and still might - check the GRCA website).

Regardless, the lake CAN produce fish, but it generally isn't worth going through the hassle of all the boat traffic and threat of bad fishing to go there over somewhere else.

Rule weekends out completely for Conestoga Lake.

yeah i know... even if he did catch all those fish i doubt anyone else caught as many...that is a LOT of fish for that lake

I went out to conestogo lake again tonight and caught 4 nice walleyes in 2 hours, all between 17 1/2" and 19", also caught 2 pike and 1 bass, everyone tells me the lake sucks but im doing ok on it, in 2 days i fished there i caught 8 walleyes all between 17" and 23". I think the lake is pritty good for walleye, i figured out a good pattern and its working great there. I only been on the lake twice so far but tried everything in the tackle box, and the walleye are in places where walleye shouldnt be at this time of year.

I've had no issues with conostoga lake fishing.

Pike in particular, but...I've not fished it in about 8 years LOL!

But trust me...

Belwood lake is NOT any better for pleasure craft traffic.

Its loaded with jet ski's and wake boarders....especially on weekends.

There are alot of cottages, and 3 trailer parks, plus the conservation area.

Access is easy, and it shows.

Fishing on Belwood "can" be good, but Its hit and miss, and you kinda have to know not just where to look, but when to look.

The traffic is only part of the equasion...the water levels can drop a couple feet over a weekend, and over week sometimes I almost don't recognize it. The Temps can change dramiticly and the Structure changes...

Weedbeds that were awesome become dry grass, and the fish move nomaticly, willow structure is on dry land, and your left with a big bowl LOL...

To truely get the most out of Belwood you have to put in time, and fish it often all year to learn what spots produce at the different water levels and temps. You might get a lucky day here and there but the slow days are often.

I recommend mid week, evenings, or "early" mornings.

I've had no issues with conostoga lake fishing.

Pike in particular, but...I've not fished it in about 8 years LOL!

But trust me...

Belwood lake is NOT any better for pleasure craft traffic.

Its loaded with jet ski's and wake boarders....especially on weekends.

There are alot of cottages, and 3 trailer parks, plus the conservation area.

Access is easy, and it shows.

Fishing on Belwood "can" be good, but Its hit and miss, and you kinda have to know not just where to look, but when to look.

The traffic is only part of the equasion...the water levels can drop a couple feet over a weekend, and over week sometimes I almost don't recognize it. The Temps can change dramiticly and the Structure changes...

Weedbeds that were awesome become dry grass, and the fish move nomaticly, willow structure is on dry land, and your left with a big bowl LOL...

To truely get the most out of Belwood you have to put in time, and fish it often all year to learn what spots produce at the different water levels and temps. You might get a lucky day here and there but the slow days are often.

I recommend mid week, evenings, or "early" mornings.

Now that's a great piece of advice. It's true, the fact is that neither lake is ideal, but they can both get the job done. A crappy day on the water is better than a good day at work or in front of the TV, so give it a shot.

wow... and people say say canada has awesome fishing ... ok then where is a good fishing lake around the kitchener waterloo area hmmm?

Canada has great fishing - it's just not always reasonable to expect fishing to be great in an overcrowded spot that sees intense fishing pressure all year long. Mix in all the recreational boat traffic, the Pike derby, and the White-Bucket types and you have a recipe for over-fished and under-performing water.