July 11 report, a productive start.

wuchikubo

Well, with my family all gone for the summer I've been trying to trying to stay sane by keeping myself busy at work and thinking about fishing off work while trying to maintain order in the house. I've always had respect for my wife for keeping the place in relatively tidy order with two young kids and myself.

Since I get off work after 7pm, fixing up dinner and then cleaning up, I haven't much time during the work week to do much night fishing yet. So I decided to pull out the used plastic worm mold and supplies I picked up from an OFC member about a year ago and started to pour some 4" and 5" stick bait worms. After talking to one of my fishing buddies I decided to pour some baits in a colour he had mentioned might be a good test start.

First batch was a learning experience. No salt = floating bait. Strong and rubbery but too buoyant.

After a quick google, SALT should be added to make bait sink. Okay, next batch has a slow decent in the water. Okay, more salt then. At the same time I'm testing out some other color combinations. More salt and a two tone worm with a coloured tip with faster decent in the water.

After asking another friend about the feel and weight of the lure, he mentions that he'll test it out for me. Umm okay, batch #2 gone.

Playing with salt content produces batch #3. Mentioned it to my first friend, ooh, batch #3 gone.

Okay, I head out for dinner Saturday with other friends and get back at about 11:30 pm and have to prep a little for my 6am fishing trip with fishing buddy #1 and another friend of his, Mark. Not sleepy yet, pour two more worms, one 4" and one 5". Seemed like good weight.

Wake up in the morning and finish packing up everything for the short drive (1.5 hr) to Chemong Lake. Meet up with my friends and headed out by boat to some fishing spots.

I put on one of the ones I made the previous night. Black with a yellow tip 4". Water temp was about 25.6 degrees Celsius according to the electronics. 15 Mins. go by and then I get a bite, first fish, a little LMB on the homemade stick bait, that was a good feeling. A few casts later I pick up a small walleye on the same stick bait but it's below the lower limit so back it goes. The other two guys on the boat are catching some fish too, then on one drift Slam, and the fish takes off, I said out loud, it looks like a muskie. A couple of flashes and passes by the boat confirmed the muskie (a small one) but none-the-less my first one in this lakes system. My prototype lure was sacrificed, so out comes the store bought Senkos (watermelon wit red flecks). A couple of LMB later I entice a SMB to line just before we make a location change.

Fish the new spot for a while and I see a boil near some lily pads so I toss the senko over and a few seconds pass then I see the line taking off horizontally, set the hook and up came the biggest bass of the morning (felt over 4 but not sure), I forget that my buddy said to keep it for pictures later as he forgot his camera, so the biggest bass was swimming back before I get told again to put the fish into the live-well. Oops. A few casts later produce a large LMB that was over 3 lbs. Pics to come since I didn't bring a camera. I continue to fish and produce some smaller fish for the table as did my two other fishing partners. Lost count but 6 made it into the livewell between the 3 of us.

My first muskie on this lake system.

P7110556.jpg?t=1279657992

The largest of the bass that went back to swim and fight another day.

P7110557.jpg?t=1279657992

Another smaller bass that was released as well.

P7110558.jpg?t=1279657992

Left the place around 12pm and packed up to head home.

Traffic was bad and alternate routes were just as bad. Back in the home area after nearly 1h50 min.

Summary: Great multi-species day and met a new friend (and he's an OFNer too) that pours his own worms too. A great wealth of information regarding plastic worm making.

Hopefully, Mark will send me some pics and I'll post them once I get them.

Thanks for reading,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Johnny Bass

Nice bass!I know how you felt, when I was catching fish on my home made bucktails!Its a great feeling! You look a little like Bob Izumi!

Nice bass!I know how you felt, when I was catching fish on my home made bucktails!Its a great feeling! You look a little like Bob Izumi!

About looking like Bob, thanks, I think :blush:, Bob's a great person and I'd be beyond happy to be able to fish as much as he does. However, if you think I look like Bob, you should see my brother's pic. (I won't post it without his permission, of course) He has definitely been mistaken for Bob before.

My next report should be for Monday the 26th of July.

Stan