crime stories. cops are to darn slow!

well.... im surprised this did so well without bein closed down for once. but other than that..... I have on average 3-4 sqaud cars pull past my place A DAY! they are constantly patrolling my area. I live in a mid-class neighbourhood here people. right next to one of the worst areas in town. guys, I live in a small town with more than enough cops to go around. I've been into the station a couple times and seen oodles of cops sitting around talking about non work related stuff. believe me, if called out a cop should be at my residence in a respectable time to deal with something like this! specially because of the fact he station isnt any longer than 10 mins away.

specially with all the younger guys who dont want to work now a days you gotta do alot more things yourself. and it must be pretty bad seeing as how I am fairly young myself! so lets not get started on a hard days work. keep it friendly people.

FishnNAutographs, Please. explain to me the legalities of a citizen's arrest.

Basically a citizen may arrest a person whom he finds committing a criminal offence and must be delivered asap to a police officer...so you can catch him/her in the act and grab them or chase them on foot...but if you lose sight of them and 20 minutes later you see them, you can't arrest under the crim. Code...and this includes every offence under the criminal code. You are also allowed to use reasonable force to detain the person - and let's not turn this into a issue on what is considered reasonable.......

Also and most important. Here is what I have observed growing up. The lack of respect.

First, let me say that I have absolute respect for all law enforcers. Personally the OPP helped my family find a missing family member who had been missing in the forest. They were 100% caring and compassionate, and incredibly sensitive - How else do you inform families of lost lives?

Then theres the flip side. When I meet a Toronto Police Officer who actually treats me like a human being (having only encountered them in traffic stops), I'll let you know. The last ticket I got was 15 over in a 50 zone (...understandable), but the officer threatened to book me on DUI charges, apparently he smelled weed. Let's be clear - I have never smoked weed in my car, and any "smell" he thought he smelled was completely fabricated. The cop pulled an obvious scare tactic, and was extremely condescending to me (I just wanted to get my ticket). The cop continued to threaten my Gf in the passenger seat, claiming she was just as criminally responsible as I was, we would both lose our licences ect... (we laughed when he said this). I see the same little rat in the same section of the Allen Expressway on many nice summer days (no precipitaiton means traffic cops actually work? hehe I kid) and everytime I drive by him I go -5 km/h of whatever the limit is and flip him a serious bird.

If you guys wanna rant then go for it! thats pretty well why I created this thread. I would like to hear peoples stories and opinions on this stuff.

JP

Here's my story of trying to do the right thing and then getting paid back by the neighbor for me not minding my own business.

I'm sitting out on my front porch and I hear two of the neighbors (different households) across the street, start yelling at each other; don't know what the fight was about didn't care.

The woman hauls off and slaps the guy; he in-turn shoves her to the ground and was winding up to kick her while she was down. I yelled at him to stop which he did but the yelling was getting worse and it was just a matter of time before there would be more physical assaults.

I told my wife to call the cops, which she did and it didn't take them long to get to the house; MY HOUSE!!

These two cops are now on my porch confirming whether it was us that called and take a statement from us?

Meanwhile the two neighbors are still going at it yelling and screaming at each other; finally the two cops go across and break up the argument.

Now the male neighbor realizes that it was me that called the cops and starts threatening me "I'll get you you...!"; right in front of the cops.

Well a long story short the cops leave after about an hour and I'm getting all kinds of cat calls from the neighbor. The next morning I wake up to see 8 flat tires on our vehicles.

Called the one cop that left his business card and all he does is give me an occurrence number for the insurance company. He says if it happens again just call it in and try and stay away from the guy; I live across the street?

I know what was the cop suppose to do after the fact; but why would those two idiot cops come to my house first; when it was obvious why they were called; the neighbors were nose to nose screaming at each other?

It really makes you want to get involved and do the right thing doesn't it?

Dan.

When I needed the cops, they showed up to late, I'm not blaming anyone for it, but I've lost faith.

When I needed help with a violent drunk family member, my neighbours showed up to help, I talked with our lawyer friend and he told me everything I needed to tell the police they needed to hear to take the drunk away, after hearing the stories they still didn't take them away. After I told our lawyer friend what happened, he called them lazy.

Last week at a party I had some idiot cop tell me he's going to "arrest me for being drunk", while I JUST showed up and cracked my first beer :stretcher:

I understand the job is hard, but get a damned system in place.

No disrespect towards Lew....

But fire fighters don't do a 10th of the work police and ems do. Several of my friends who are firefighters tell me a busy 24 hour shift for them is 5 call outs..... The rest of the time they don't really do anything other than work out and some training... A slow day for me is 5-10 call outs...so don't tell me that you know the system. Saying police don't show up is a pile of Bunk... Arm chair quarterbacks need to stop getting information from television....we're human and we have limits...thinking that finding the person who egged your house or broke your window is more important than the dirt bag who's robbing people at gun point, beating the crap out of their wives and the drug dealer selling to your kids. If you knew how hard it was to put on a uniform and have men women and children hate you because of the uniform and dealing with people you would run screaming from you'd change your tone. Try doing a thankless job where you work long hours and get little thanks.

...this should be interesting...

Here's the bottom line.....EVERYONE will armchair quarterback the police. No matter what we do no one is happy. There isn't one profession that every move you make, everything you write down and everything you say is scrutinized.

In reality, 99% of the public have no idea what it's like to be an officer and to be honest I had no idea what I was getting into when I got hired. No one realizes that the idiot a copper arrests for impaired driving will have to do about 6 hours of paperwork afterward....

Again, the bottom line is....when the majority of the armchair quarterbacks leave for work in the morning, they're most likely going to see their family when their shift/work day is done. I have to kiss my wife and children good bye everymorning knowing there's a chance that that will be the last time I ever see them. Cowards like to criticize, but remember, when the excrement hits the oscolating device, I'm the one running into it...and they're running away from it...

It is not cowardly to criticize and it is wrong to assume that I or the majority of people are cowards that run "when the excrement hits the oscolating device"... enough said.

No disrespect towards Lew....

But fire fighters don't do a 10th of the work police and ems do. Several of my friends who are firefighters tell me a busy 24 hour shift for them is 5 call outs..... The rest of the time they don't really do anything other than work out and some training... A slow day for me is 5-10 call outs...so don't tell me that you know the system. Saying police don't show up is a pile of Bunk... Arm chair quarterbacks need to stop getting information from television....we're human and we have limits...thinking that finding the person who egged your house or broke your window is more important than the dirt bag who's robbing people at gun point, beating the crap out of their wives and the drug dealer selling to your kids. If you knew how hard it was to put on a uniform and have men women and children hate you because of the uniform and dealing with people you would run screaming from you'd change your tone. Try doing a thankless job where you work long hours and get little thanks.

it is not fair to make a comment like this either. there are plenty more people killed on the job everyday compared to police officers. they also work just as hard if not harder than police officers. I.e. physical labor jobs and lets get one thing straight with all of your "coward" comments. you aren't going to find one here. :)