Ethanol - Petro Canada Responds

canuckjack

Sorry to bring this up again, I know it's been hacked to death around here :blahblah1: but after the last round on this one I sent an email to Petro Canada to inquire about their Premium, this is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Petro-Canada Customer Service online.

Ethanol is only present in Petro-Canada Regular Clean 87 Octane (10%) and Plus Clean 89 Octane (5%). Petro-Canada SuperClean 91 Octane gasoline does not contain any Ethanol.

my engine says use regular octane 86 or 87 I believe. Is it safe to go to 91? The guys that are putting in high octane does your engine say it's ok? Just wondering

Edited by LD17

my engine says use regular octane 86 or 87 I believe. Is it safe to go to 91? The guys that are putting in high octane does your engine say it's ok? Just wondering

You can run 91 octane with no problem. The extra additives in the 91 will also help keep engine deposits to a minimum. My boat requires 89octane minimum so I always run it on premium anyways. I cart 5 gallon jerry cans to the gas station and fill them up. It is about 25cents a litre cheaper to do it that way over filling up with marine premium.

I don't think any of the 91s contain ethanol (my car runs on 91 only and I check the labels when filling up) whereas most of the 87s are 15% or thereabouts.

Esso, Petro, Sunoco and Shell all have ethanol free 91 octane AFAIK

Edited by cuzza

I don't think any of the 91s contain ethanol (my car runs on 91 only and I check the labels when filling up) whereas most of the 87s are 15% or thereabouts.

Esso, Petro, Sunoco and Shell all have ethanol free 91 octane AFAIK

Not true, ALL SUNOCO GAS HAS ETHANOL.

Taken from Sunoco.ca website:

All Sunoco gasolines, including Ultra 94, are enhanced with ethanol – a clean-burning, renewable resource. Ethanol helps reduce toxic carbon monoxide emissions by up to 30% in older vehicles. It’s also a natural gasoline antifreeze during the winter months. Sunoco ethanol-enhanced gasolines display the EcoLogoM, certifying that they are approved by Environment Canada’s Environmental Choice Program. In fact, if every driver in Ontario used Sunoco gas, the reduction in emissions would be the equivalent of taking more than 100,000 cars off the road.

Edited by fisher

Not true, ALL SUNOCO GAS HAS ETHANOL.

True.

And since Suncor (sunoco parent company) now owns Petro-Can, with more and more Petro-Cans running Sunoco fuel, I doubt the accuracy of the email for Petro-Can.

To the best of my knowledge, Shell is the only place with non-ethanol blend 91 Oct.

True.

And since Suncor (sunoco parent company) now owns Petro-Can, with more and more Petro-Cans running Sunoco fuel, I doubt the accuracy of the email for Petro-Can.

To the best of my knowledge, Shell is the only place with non-ethanol blend 91 Oct.

Good point. Not what I want to hear since I have experienced first hand what ethanol did to my motor. I may stick to only Shell or Esso from now on.

I had a marine mechanic tell me to use 87 octane because the premium will make it run hotter. Motor is a 40 hp 96 evinrude 2 stroke.

I have a 1992 40 HP Mercury and been running high octane since I got it rebuilt 3 years ago and it has been fine... used on average once a week during the spring and summer mainly to run at top speed to get to a starting spot on Lake Ontario and then trolling for 4-5 hours. Never an issue running it with high octane (and presumably Ethanol free).

I have a one year old 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and the manual says to use a MINIMUM of 86 octane but says nothing about using higher grades, so by that I'd assume the high octane is perfectly safe :dunno:

Life used to be so simple before the world went hi-tech :lol:

The Ethanol problem only really occurs when gas is stored for long periods of time. Most people will run there tanks close to empty and fill her up with non-ethanol gas but for summer use it won't hurt the motor if you run regular gas that contains ethanol.