NF.Internet sticks.

snoil

Hi all.Looking at getting an internet stick for use mostly in the Haliburton/Bamcroft area.Wondering what others are using in that area and the north in general.I've only looked briefly at Bell and Rogers.Any feedback woulf be appreciated.Thanks.

I bought one for myself in April for use at my trailer at Port Loring.Most of the time I don't have cell service but the stick usually has one bar BUT the stick I bought,Sierra 306,has a spot to hook up an external antenna which amplifies the signal 2X and that is the only way that I can get a usable signal.

Its not as fast as my DSL at home but most of the time it is pretty quick.I am with Telus which shares towers with bell.They give a 14 day free trial with a full refund policy if you don't like it or you can't get a signal where you are going to use it.I tried it out at the trailer when I bought it to make sure it would be okay.

The oddest thing is the worse the weather-raining,cloudy-the better the signal and on those sunny cloudless days I sometimes can't get a signal until 7-8pm

vance

Hi all.Looking at getting an internet stick for use mostly in the Haliburton/Bamcroft area.Wondering what others are using in that area and the north in general.I've only looked briefly at Bell and Rogers.Any feedback woulf be appreciated.Thanks.

this could be a long shot.. if you have a blackberry smart phone with unlimited data you can go to crackberry.com and download something called teatherberry it works off your cell phones 3G signal just like the rocket sticks do. i know that the TOS states no teathering but the program masks it self and works awesome. your phone bill stays the same, as does your usage. i tether my bold to my laptop when ever im up north and i've never had an issue.

I have not tried one that far from the city, but we don't get high speed here and I tried a Telus 3GS stick for a few days. It worked really well, but they do have limits and I would exceed that in no time at all! Cell phone signal with Bell is very poor here as well, but this stick was pretty good. The over the plan Gigs would make it way too expensive. If they did have unlimited plans in the past, they are not offering them now.

It came with a usage monitor and i could not believe what I used just opening my email.