How many Fingers above the Trigger?

EC1

So this is my first year of using a baitcaster, and I think I have down most of it, but my time with the baitcaster out actually on water has been quite limited. I wanted to ask you folks how you guys are holding it.

I find that with one finger above the trigger, my pitches are most accurate.

With two, I seem to lose some accuracy in pitching, but it seems to be quite comfortable.

And with three, it seems that you get to palm the reel...but what benefit does it offer?

I like to cast with one finger on the trigger, retrieve and fight a fish with two fingers over the trigger and the reel in my palm.

Whatever is most comfortable is key.

If you are a right handed person using a right handed reel on a straight overhand cast you will almost naturally place the left side cover of the reel into your left palm during, or at the end of, the cast.

Holding the reel in the palm of your weak hand prevents a lot of wear-and-tear on the wrist. Especially with larger baits. When you crank larger baits, the reel wants to torque around on top of the rod axis. Using this palm grip stops this and prevents strain on your wrist.

If you are a right handed person with a left handed reel, this is your first lesson in why right handed reels crank from the right side...hahaha. You will need to develop a compromise grip that allows you to cast and reel without changing hands...Good Luck with that.

If you're Pitching and Flipping in shallow water, a case can be made for using a left hand reel or learning to cast with your weak hand. However if, like most people, you are changing hands you will naturally place the reel into your left palm as usual.

Garry2R's

Thanks for the insight gentlemen! I am supposed to be left handed, but was forced to use my right when I was young, so I still have some of that left in me. I seem to be pitching more accurate with my left than with my right.

But now that I get why sometimes you palm a reel, it's going to be awesome next saturday!