Muskie Ugly Stick?

LegitFish

I guess since you're not going to be feeling light ticks from muskie anyways, your rod should be more than enough. Only thing I am worried about is that the rod does not have a good action (whippy). You are using this for muskie right?

I'm thinking you'll want to be upgrading very soon because throwing big baits all day is going to be killer on your arms.

EC1's right man.. after a few hours of chucking big baits your gonna be in some pain lol. i use a 7 foot Mitchell for my musky fishing, stiff yet sensitive.. you wanna get them in quick.. the longer they are on the line, the more of a chance you have of hurting them.

well im no musky expert so i'll let the boys on this forum answer that one. there are alot of very knowledgeable musky experts here, just keep an eye on this thread and im sure they will chime in at some point.

just remember the less time you spend fighting the fish, the more of a chance you have to get her back into the water to fight another day :) rods with strong back bones, and 60-80 pound braid is what you'll be lookin for.

Well, let's look at it this way, you've ordered the rods already, so use them for the coming days, and if you do ever feel the need to upgrade..then do so.

As long as you like the feel of the rod you're holding, doesn't matter if it's a steel rod or a $500 dollar muskie stick. Since you've ordered, try it and see if you like it. My first thought was that I didn't like the action of Medium Ugly stik's all that much, so I was worried about the muskie rod.

You will probably learn a ton more from that guide than you will from me, so I would probably learn and see what he has to show, and try to replicate for the days after.

Good Luck on your Muskie Trip!

I'd return the Ugly Stick, it's far too short, and go with something 7'6" or longer. I'd suggest a Shimano Compre rod for muskies, but that's just me.

I'd also suggest you pair it up with a Calcutta reel, more $$$$ but definetely worth the extra expense.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah but I would just buy a more sensitive rod for the trip and use both. Worst case i could just return the ugly stick.

If your lookin for a musky rod, sensitivity is the last thing you need to worry about.

Most important is what is on the other end of the line? If you're just using smaller pike lures then I wouldn't worry about it until you start musky fishing regularly. Muskie are caught on bass/walleye fishing tackle all the time. If you want to use those double cowgirls or big 10" baits you might reconsider and get an 8' rod.

I was actually looking at this rod for the 2-3 times per year I would be fishing Musky.

Dan,

It will be a fine entry pole. Once you get one on and landed then perhaps you may have a change of heart and up grade. Take the pole out on the water and go have fun.

I use cat fish Ugly stick's for my musky trolling rods and they do amazing and yes when I started they were my casting rods they did the job and after two years I upgraded but when your first getting started they will hold up but if you plan on casting alot you might want a better casting rod. As for now Chris has hit it on the head use that one and have some fun.