Preventive Maintenance 101 - Aluminum Corrosion

irishfield

Finally stole a day to get my boat in order (reality = waiting for couriered parts for what I'm supposed to be working on)! While cleaning things up I noticed that all my pedestal bases have corrosion just starting to happen thanks to that "battery" action between disimilar metals. Stainless retaining screws and aluminum pedestals, add water and you have a battery!

Also noticed that my Swivl-eze seat bases are corroding and my Springfields are not.. so kind of a product review here as well. I have Swivl-eze in the back (Lund standard) and Springfield air rides in the front (dealer install as Lund shipped with fixed pedestals and not the air rides that were ordered).

Anyhow.. the Swivl-eze have all them nice white spots of corrosion on them and the Springfields do not because they were anodized. So if you have a choice.. buy Springfield!

Also corrosion happening on the stub section of the pedestal post that goes into the floor base (alum tube.. metal lock tabs!)

For now I sprayed and wiped everything down with Fluid Film and will see how it does this season. If that doesn't nip it I'll be pulling all the screws and coating them in epoxy chromate primer before reinstalling them. Another great product made specifically for this is ACF-50. If you let this "white powder" go the pedestals will just turn to powder as well, due to granualar corrosion.. and a few squirts of prevention is a WHOLE lot cheaper than new bases/pedestals/and seat bases.

Edited by irishfield

Last 3 years my Attwoods on my Crestliner have done the same thing. I ground them down clean first year and re-coated them with something I was recommended from a custom auto parts place here in oakville. couldn't find anything you recommended Wayne. They've been better but every year there's some corrosion still occuring. I wipe em down and really don't know what else I can do but replace them one day

Art, if it becomes an issue... I will give them to a guy I know that anodizes all his float attachment parts. This stops corrosion of aluminum.. until you scratch or nick it at least. Powder coating requires heat.. and something I do not like with aluminum parts.