GTA versus Ottawa area fishing!

Harrison

Kind of a weird question, but this is a huge factor in my decision. It sounds like I might have a solid job offer coming from Ottawa.

I have never fished there. I see reports and know some guys who tell me it's pretty good fishing out that way.

How does it compare to opportunites in the GTA (Kawarthas, Simcoe etc vrs ottawa river, St lawrence etc.) I assume Lake O and tribs will be left behind.

Lots of water to fish with in an hour or so? Is it quieter? etc..

Anyone here lived/fished in both these areas and could share some experience?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Harrison

I grew up in Mississauga and for the first half of my life, fished the tribs, Kawarthas, Georgian Bay....etc

Been in Ottawa for the last eight years and I absolutely love the fishing out here. If that is'nt enough, there are endless oppertunities across the river on the Quebec side.

I rarely ever find myself missing my old stomping grounds.

Hi,

awesome fishing opportunities in the Ottawa area where you can catch every freshwater fish imaginable within an hours drive. The rivers get a little busy on the weekends but there are tonnes of lakes to choose from. Fish during the week and you have the lakes to yourself.

brufan

OTTAWA over GTA...no question about it

bass, pike, musky, amazing channel cat fishery, walleye, trout, monster carp...my experience is on the ottawa and rideau rivers....close to Quebec and wicked fishing plus cheap beer....traffic is better than GTA and IMO many more opportunities within an hour drive or so compared to GTA...

Yes, I forgot the cheap beer!! Costco in Gatineau sells 55 can packs of Coors Lite for $51.15! Some of the local corner stores sell it even cheaper.

Also, Gar pike, landlocked salmon on the Quebec side, monster (for Ontario) Sturgeon, and a 1 hour trip to the lake takes 1 hour in rush hour. I have a feeling it takes a bit longer in GTA rush hour. Algonquin Park is nearby as well. I'm sure the GTA is a great place to live and fish, I'm just saying that you won't be lacking anything by moving to Ottawa.

good luck,

brufan

Depends what you like to fish for. As others have noted, Ottawa has excellent bass, muskie, walleye, sauger, channel cat, perch and crappie fishing right in the city itself, never mind within an hour's drive. Ice fishing is also great. Tons of small lakes with every kind of habitat. Depending where you go (and when) the fishing pressure is on par with, or a bit less than, that of the Kawarthas. You may have smaller lakes to yourself some days.

Lake O is a bit of a drive from Ottawa - closest dependable action is at Wellington, about two and a half hours away. If you like steelhead, you're driving three hours plus to the Ganny, or to the US. Quinte is about the same drive as from GTA. Thousand Islands are about an hour from Ottawa, with tremendous pike, bass, walleye and crappie fishing (muskie are no longer as abundant as they once were). If you like stream trout, there's excellent brookie fishing in Quebec, a very short drive from Ottawa, and the Catskill Mountains (NY and Vermont) are an easy weekend trip.

Bottom line:

GTA - Convenient salmon and steelhead, other species (and ice fishing) require a short drive. Generally more crowded.

Ottawa - Convenient warm water fish and ice fishing, salmon and steelhead mean time in the car, generally less crowded.

That help?

Craig, had I your literary skills, I would have said the exact same thing. Succinct, concise and accurate. However, as far as Thousand Islands is concerned, Dale's muskie notwithstanding, I believe there are many muskies from there all the way down to and past Lac St-Pierre. But hey, I've been known to be wrong. ;)

And Carp! :D

and walleye....been out for walleye once a week since the opener...and have been catching my limit within minutes on almost every trip...the first two trips i hit into many but was too hard on them...

This is going to make Big Cliff jealous..Was out for two hours last night and between 3 of us fishing...12 walleye were caught....nothing brag worthy but every so often a 30 incher is caught..

Honestly..I'm a scarberia boy and have had my share of skunked days around the Toronto area...I'd pick O-town over T.dot for fishing any time...unless you like your Salmon...

Theres even trout around here...

Theres catfish here too!!! haven't targeted them but have seen 5 to 10 lbers yanked out of the ottawa...

If you do decide to move to Ottawa...PM me and we'll go fishing...:)

And right in the city...you dont need to drive more than half an hour to hit honey holes...

The air is fresher here too..:D

Cheers,

F

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if you can live without pacific salmon i'd take the ottawa area over the GTA in a hollywood minute.

that said, i could never do without steelies.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Craig, had I your literary skills, I would have said the exact same thing. Succinct, concise and accurate. However, as far as Thousand Islands is concerned, Dale's muskie notwithstanding, I believe there are many muskies from there all the way down to and past Lac St-Pierre. But hey, I've been known to be wrong. ;)

That's good to hear, Roy. I've only fished muskie there a few times, so can only go by what others have told me. I thought it was pretty decent though. Great average size, and nice healthy looking fish (unlike the giant head, pencil body things in Scugog).

Smallie fishing in Lake St. Lawrence is just plain scary.

Eastern Ontario fish are less pressured. I always feel that they will bite better under poor conditions, but hey, I've only gone there a handful of times!

I also feel that you that you can probably catch fish of a larger average size than the Kawarthas!

Thanks a ton for the replies and guidance! Truly appreciated.

Being a die hard angler and having guided in the GTA area waters for a few years I am addicted to the variety and diversity we have here. I guess losing that is my main anxiety. However after reading some of the replies here I am pretty sure I could find most of what I am looking for in the Ottawa area!

If I accept the offer I'll sure miss the trib fishing in my back yard, but I am sure I could fill the void!

Again, replies greatly appreciated!

Craig, yes your reply and the others sure DID help! Cheap beer too, oh oh!

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by Harrison

musky, lakers, bass, crappie and crappie are most of the ottawa area reports i see...

i'd stick to TO, much more fishing opportunities within an hour or so drive in my opinion...

This, you are incorrect with. I am from Stoney Creek and am temporarily permanently stuck in Ottawa. There are just as many if not more fishing opportunities in Ottawa than here in the GTA (currently in SC).

There are literally thousands of lakes surrounding the region plus the big shows, both Rivers.

I guess the bright side is I get to go to 30+ Sens games and boo them on, they are a disgrace to watch and I am in a 200 Level Box for most of those games. hahahha. Oh the irony. Go Leafs Go!!!