oil removal from 4 stroke

Rizzo

Going to get the boat in the water Wednesday and noticed that the engine oil level is far too high. I guess the marina that serviced it in the fall put too much in. I understand this is not good. Now I am NOT a handy guy. I have access to some long thin tubing but no pump etc and not sure I want to start messing with drain valves etc. Can I put this long tube down into the oil via the dipstick pipe, and basically siphon some of the oil out? (no I will not be needing a breathmint afterwards...I have 6 feet of this tubing). The level is not even close to where it should be, not sure what this guy was thinking. When I checked it yesterday (in preparation for my trip) its a good inch and a half too far up the dipstick.

haha that's what I was hoping to hear. My buddy's job is to tell me when I have 5 and a half feet of oil in the 6 foot tube...time to stop sucking! I imagine if I sit on the floor I could practically drain the thing once gravity takes over.

haha that's what I was hoping to hear. My buddy's job is to tell me when I have 5 and a half feet of oil in the 6 foot tube...time to stop sucking! I imagine if I sit on the floor I could practically drain the thing once gravity takes over.

Yes, you can do it, just make sure you take some oil with you. Once you have started the motor, let it run for a minute, then stop it and re check the oil. If they have changed the filter but not run the engine after wards, the filter will need to fill with oil.

Before you go to all that trouble, I would call the shop where you had it serviced and ask them about it although 1.5" does sound like a lot of extra oil it may not be that much once the filter is filled.

see if a turkey baster will fit in there and then just suck it up. You may have to do it a few times to get the level where you want it. Save yourself from taking a mouth full of oil. Seriously the things we will do...lol

go to the drug store and ask for a 100 cc syringe without the needle. also ask for the tubing to attach to the bottom. I use this method to remove break fluid from the resivors. Works wonderfully. All for the price of about 5 bucks. Lasts forever too. The syringe and tubing are used for tube feeding children and adults. Good luck and have fun!

Just 2 quick tips 1.) Whatever you shove down that dipstick hole...don't drop the end off it.

2) Is this a Yamaha? It's not uncommon for the filters to slowly drain back into the crankcase over a period of time. This gives the impression of being overfilled, even though the correct amount was added. Check the level 5-10 mins after the motor is shut off and see if it is at the max level. By the way, draining just a small amount of oil out using the drain plug is a really messy experience on those motors.