engine trouble

archer379

the motor 1999 johnson 70 hp

the proplem: shortly after i bought this boat this proplem started when i would roll the motor over it would sometimes just stop cranking so i had the starter rebuilt thinking maybe there was a flat spot on the starter that didn't fix it. next i tryed a used silinod and the proplem has become worse when i first changed it the motor started fine so i thought i had it. today in the middle of rice lake i can't get the motor to go the pinon gear pops up but doesn't seem to have the power to turn the motor over. if i cross the soilnoid it all works fine. I have cleaned all conections to do with the starter. Can't think of what else it can be any ideas

Always check the main plug-in on both ends from the motor and the control lever. Vibration and corrosion can work them loose and cause all kinds of gremlins. Keep your answers simple for now after eliminating the simple answers then go for the complicated ones.

Art

the motor 1999 johnson 70 hp

the proplem: shortly after i bought this boat this proplem started when i would roll the motor over it would sometimes just stop cranking so i had the starter rebuilt thinking maybe there was a flat spot on the starter that didn't fix it. next i tryed a used silinod and the proplem has become worse when i first changed it the motor started fine so i thought i had it. today in the middle of rice lake i can't get the motor to go the pinon gear pops up but doesn't seem to have the power to turn the motor over. if i cross the soilnoid it all works fine. I have cleaned all conections to do with the starter. Can't think of what else it can be any ideas

i would check all the connections battery and starter.Then a new silinod

I had a similar problem on my mercruiser inboard.

When turning the key, I could hear it "click", than nothing. Also noted a voltage drop on my volt meter, down to apx 10 V. I thought (hoped) at first it was a bad connection on either the battery or the starter. But it turned out to be the solenoid on the starter. It would "click" in, but not connect properly to connect power to the starter motor itself to turn.

I had it replaced with a rebuilt starter, all good now!

Yep.. and I'll third it! Sounds like an old Dodge car starter.. you use to be able to crawl under and give the connection lug a hard turn and get a new spot on the contact stud for a while..

Edited by irishfield

thanks for the info. I had a chance to do a little more trouble shooting this morning. I put a switch form the + on the solenoid to the small terminal (from the key i think) when i hit the button started works fine so i think the solenoid is ok. I pulle d the key switch out and have found that the safty kill switch seemed a little stiff to pop out when the clip pops off sprayed a bit of wd40 in it and worked it for a few min. now it doesnt seem to work at all so i think that it may be the proplem.

thanks for the info. I had a chance to do a little more trouble shooting this morning. I put a switch form the + on the solenoid to the small terminal (from the key i think) when i hit the button started works fine so i think the solenoid is ok. I pulle d the key switch out and have found that the safty kill switch seemed a little stiff to pop out when the clip pops off sprayed a bit of wd40 in it and worked it for a few min. now it doesnt seem to work at all so i think that it may be the proplem.

Told Ya! ;)

Randy

:canadian: