Joint / Arthritis Pain

FLEX ROD

Interesting to see this post and hear about all the treaments you guys are using. I have suffered with a bad back (surgery) since I was 25 years old, bad hips for the past 4 years as well as knees and shoulders (I'm 52). I have tried many of those mentioned including celebrex and the natural ones. Some would show a little relief, but not enough to let me sleep through the night or enjoy regular activities. I see a chiropractor every three weeks. I'm not always one to listen to my doctor for my own reasons, but last year I visited him after weeks of relentless pain. I was taking celebrex at the time and it just wasn't cutting it. He mentioned taking tylenol arthritis daily might help. Well, low an behold, it is the best advice I could have received. I have better sleeps, no hip pain, better shoulders and no gut rot. Who would have thought that buying something off the shelf would provide a better relief than prescrition drugs.

Thank god for Liquigels ... and Cortisone shots .. too bad that doesnt actually fix the problem :)

But be VERY careful with Celebrex in my opinion it is EVIL .. it works like a charm ... and you'll even dance cartwheels... until it knocks the stuffing out of you and completely unbalances your immune system ... I broke out in severe hives every time I missed a dose until I figured out what was causing it...anyone got the enbril or humara going on (at $5,000 a pop ?)

Guest gbfisher

Thank god for Liquigels ... and Cortisone shots .. too bad that doesnt actually fix the problem :)

But be VERY careful with Celebrex in my opinion it is EVIL .. it works like a charm ... and you'll even dance cartwheels... until it knocks the stuffing out of you and completely unbalances your immune system ... I broke out in severe hives every time I missed a dose until I figured out what was causing it...anyone got the enbril or humara going on (at $5,000 a pop ?)

Enbril can kill ya if you stop using it and go back on it. Humara only works for so long and yer onto the next round of what have you.

Rituxan is only 4500....twice every 6 months or less.

Price one pays to feel some what human.

Edited by gbfisher

Yes, PENNSAID is via prescription-covered by all insurance companies if you have it.

Otherwise, I believe it is about $60-$70 a bottle and that is for about a month's supply but I find you can stretch it to 2 months as you do not have to use as much as the bottle says. But start off with the recommended dosage and modify from there. While the warnings on the package are the same as oral Nsaids, it has more to do with the class of drug that it is in rather than the likelyhood of them happening with Pennsaid as compared to say Celebrex. In fact, a study concluded that the amount of the nsaid that gets into your blood/system from using Pennsaid is something like 100 times less than the pill Nsaids taken orally. Makes sense since it doesn;t go through your whole body.

Let us know how it works out if you get it.

Here is an article I found regarding toxicity of Pennsaid vs oral medication...

Topical diclofenac has equal efficacy to, less toxicity than oral diclofenac for knee OA

Oct 15, 2004

Ottawa, ON - A topical diclofenac solution (Pennsaid, Dimethaid Health Care Ltd, Markham, ON) was as effective as oral diclofenac and much less toxic for treatment of knee osteoarthritis (OA) in a randomized, controlled trial reported by Dr Peter S Tugwell (University of Ottawa, ON) et al in the October 2004 issue of the Journal of Rheumatology [ 1 ].

Our equivalence study showed that topical diclofenac was as effective as the maximum daily dose of oral diclofenac in relieving knee osteoarthritis symptoms.

"Our equivalence study showed that topical diclofenac was as effective as the maximum daily dose of oral diclofenac in relieving knee osteoarthritis symptoms," senior author Dr J Zev Shainhouse (Dimethaid Health Care Ltd, Markham, ON) tells rheuma wire . "Side effects—including gastrointestinal events such as heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhea—were significantly reduced in topical diclofenac-treated patients compared with those receiving oral diclofenac. In addition, the number of topical diclofenac patients developing abnormally high levels of liver enzymes and low levels of hemoglobin was markedly reduced."

Yes, PENNSAID is via prescription-covered by all insurance companies if you have it.

Otherwise, I believe it is about $60-$70 a bottle and that is for about a month's supply but I find you can stretch it to 2 months as you do not have to use as much as the bottle says. But start off with the recommended dosage and modify from there. While the warnings on the package are the same as oral Nsaids, it has more to do with the class of drug that it is in rather than the likelyhood of them happening with Pennsaid as compared to say Celebrex. In fact, a study concluded that the amount of the nsaid that gets into your blood/system from using Pennsaid is something like 100 times less than the pill Nsaids taken orally. Makes sense since it doesn;t go through your whole body.

Let us know how it works out if you get it.

Here is an article I found regarding toxicity of Pennsaid vs oral medication...

Topical diclofenac has equal efficacy to, less toxicity than oral diclofenac for knee OA

Oct 15, 2004

Ottawa, ON - A topical diclofenac solution (Pennsaid, Dimethaid Health Care Ltd, Markham, ON) was as effective as oral diclofenac and much less toxic for treatment of knee osteoarthritis (OA) in a randomized, controlled trial reported by Dr Peter S Tugwell (University of Ottawa, ON) et al in the October 2004 issue of the Journal of Rheumatology [ 1 ].

Our equivalence study showed that topical diclofenac was as effective as the maximum daily dose of oral diclofenac in relieving knee osteoarthritis symptoms.

"Our equivalence study showed that topical diclofenac was as effective as the maximum daily dose of oral diclofenac in relieving knee osteoarthritis symptoms," senior author Dr J Zev Shainhouse (Dimethaid Health Care Ltd, Markham, ON) tells rheuma wire . "Side effects—including gastrointestinal events such as heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhea—were significantly reduced in topical diclofenac-treated patients compared with those receiving oral diclofenac. In addition, the number of topical diclofenac patients developing abnormally high levels of liver enzymes and low levels of hemoglobin was markedly reduced."

Percocet does a good job for my Arthritis but I take it only when absolutely necessary...I had the occasion where I kinda overdosed to kill the pain of what I thought was a kidney stone...finally went to the hospital only to find out I was severally constipated from the pills I had taken every six hours...very embarrassing when the doctor tells you you are full of siht and do not have a kidney stoneblush.gifw00t.gif

My new doctor is not a fan of Percocet so I'll find out next month if he will give me a new script for some as I'm down to my last few pills...

I just recently got some arthritis pain acetaminophin 650 mg caplets but the jury is still out as to their effectivness for arthritis...work well for a headache !

Edited by Beans

Beans, read the ingredients.

acetaminophin 650 mg caplets

Basically a slow release Tylenol, that is why it is 650 mg, part of this is in a slow release form. Remember, acetaminophen also constipates some people. Hate to see you go to the Doc. only for him to tell you once again your full of crap. :rofl2: once again.

Edited by pikehunter