Boat ramp comedy

Gerry

Just to add some more comedy to the topic. I saw a jetskier launch his jetski and go park. He came back, fired up his jetski and began to pull out of the launch. As he was doing that, 2 fishermen drove into the launch to end the day. The jetskier rooster-tailed the 2 fishermen as he was driving off. Talk about pissed off!!

Another jetski story, a newbie family of 5 people, 2 adult males, a woman & 2 kids. They launched their jetski and it kept sinking when they backed up. You guessed it, the transom straps were still on. Instead of pulling out a bit to see what they were doing, they decided to wade into the launch & with their arms, bicep deep in the water, tried to figure out how the straps were connected. They were going to get wet anyway!?!

And one more, although this is more of a tip than a joke. If you have a bunk trailer, you can back it up & wet the bunks, then pull out and leave about a foot of the bunks UNDER WATER. Then simply drive your boat up the bunks. This also takes a bit of practice to get it as close as you can to the winch. Then all you have to do it tie the winch clip on & tighten to the roller & pull out of the launch and put your transom straps on and you're outta there.

If you need to see this, watch when a bass tournament is over and they're pulling their boats out.

And I would just like to say thank-you to 'lookinforwalleye' for the "perfect" comment. I do try to be. Actually, it's a common courtesy problem. Alot of people are rude, inconsiderate, selfish, self-centered and all about the ME ME ME!! And the rest of us have to be patient. Why do they get to be all those things & we only get to be one thing?????

Heres a little tip for you guys that have no problem backing up a toilet but can't back up a trailer. When backing up, hold the steering wheel at the bottom, if you want to go left turn the wheel left if you wanna go right turn the wheel right. Makes things alot easier than holding the wheel at the top and turning in opposite directions. Now go find the toilet plunger. :rofl2:

Heres one I saw last year. A guy unhooks his bowline and proceeds to back down the ramp. About 15 feet from the water and his 20 ft skeeter slides of the bunks onto the cement. We had too hook the bowline back up and get about six guys to lift the boat back on. Awhile later I was talking to the owner of the boat and told him I had never seen a bassboat slide off the bunks so effortlessly. He said that the day before he coated the bunks with silicone spray to make it easier to winch the boat back on the trailer when pulling out. He got the tip from a buddy who said everyone does it where he was from. I guess he forgot to tell him not to unhook the bowline till your in the water.

Yup, we've done the plug thing twice. Each time it was aQuestion of who forgot to do what. YOu know the argument. "MY job?! I thought you were looking after it!" :whistling:

The strap thing too. Son tried revving the boat in full reverse a couple of minutes before realizing the straps were still on. Another case of being in a hurry and forgetting to follow the checklist. :wallbash:

I apologise, maybe "idiot" was a bit harsh. Maybe the term "common sense" or "ignorant" is more appropriate here. These things combined with a busy launch makes things really trying to a lot of people. At the Tiffin launch as well there is no signage that says IN or OUT, although I don't think it would make alot of difference to most people.

About 30 years ago I was helping my bud launch his 14' tinny at the ramp in our trailer park. He backed it into the water and got out of the truck but the trailer wasn't in quite far enuff to float the boat. Rather than get back in the truck we decided to just push it in by hand. I reached down to un-clip the bow strap just as buddy pushed the boat and the crank handle spun backwards about a thousand MPH and smacked me square in the face and split my cheek wide open and just about knocked me cold. Wide enuff infact that I could stick finger right out thru the cut.

Happened so darned fast that I didn't even know what happened and I've still got the scar after all these years.

And as for trying to launch the boat with the transom straps still attached....well I've done that too....twice infact :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

There was a first timer at Layzee Acres this weekend he did every thing wrong, he was getting the boat ready on the ramp double and triple checking everything life jackets on you know the drill.

This poor guy could not back his shiny new Legend up 10 feet with out jackknifing plus the guys wife was not helping by yelling at him at the top of her lungs this guy was about ready to crack, after about 15 minutes or so one of the guys watching offered to back is rig in for him he gladly accepted the offer and he was off a few minutes later.

Part 2,

After dinner I decided to go down to the canal and wash a few lures and low and behold our friend is coming in well this poor fella hadn`t shut the motor off yet and his wife was already yelling at him.

Nothing really had changed you could tell he was nervously walking to his truck a few attempts at backing up and you could tell it was not going to happen, I walked over to his truck and asked if he wanted some help so he slams his truck in park and starts to get out I say no I am not going to back it up for you but I will tell how to do it.

In a nut shell I tell him hand on the bottom of the wheel and turn in the direction you want the trailer to go and small corrections well after a couple minutes he gets the hang of it and he gets the trailer in the water,I them tell him to jump in the boat and drive the boat right on the trailer which he got done after a few attempts we winch him up and away he goes.

he was very greatful for the help.

So guys the next time a new boat owner is trying to launch and he/she is breaking all the rules try to have a little compassion for a fellow angler.

Ya, it's not only newbies. At the OFC weekend a Merlands a few years back I launched the boat, put the emergency brake on, and kinda forgot to take it off...... almost hand some caring fellow OFNERs knee deep pushing... :blush: