Trailer Bearing Question - Part 2

Hi there, this is an extension to a previous post I did a few days ago.

I re-packed the bearings on my trailer and took it for a quick spin tonight ( 1 exit on the highway). When I got back, I jacked it up to check and see if there was any play in the wheel and there was in both wheels. Not a lot, but I had none before I took it for a drive. I took out the cotter pin and sure enough was able to get a good full turn out of the nut. I tightened it up, re-installed the cotter pin and took it for another spin on the highway again (1 exit). When I got back, I jacked it up and there was no play in the wheels at all, so I am guessing that the bearings weren't fully seated and taking it for a spin set them.

I'm a little nervous about it now though and have a few more questions. As info, it's a 2007 easy hauler (16 foot boat). I bought the boat used, so have no idea how well the bearings were cared for previously, but they looked O.K. when i took it apart.

1. When i touched the hub after the run on the highway, one hub was warm to the touch (not hot), and the other was luke warm. Is that normal?

2. How much does it cost normally to get someone to change the bearings for you. I have a tight budget, but am now wondering if it is a good idea to do.

thanks in advance.

Sounds like you got it right. Its not as serious as you think. I always over tighten the nut then back it of to seat the bearings. The i back it of so it turns easy but stop as soon as there is abit of play. As long as you got the kotter pin on the nut the wheel will not fall off if there is abit of play. as far as new bearing watch for when they go on sale at princess auto then they are cheap.. to change bearings you will need to hammer the races out with a punch.....

I usually search you tube for things like this as you can see really good instructional videos

there.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=changing+trailer+wheel+bearings&aq=0

Hi there, this is an extension to a previous post I did a few days ago.

I re-packed the bearings on my trailer and took it for a quick spin tonight ( 1 exit on the highway). When I got back, I jacked it up to check and see if there was any play in the wheel and there was in both wheels. Not a lot, but I had none before I took it for a drive. I took out the cotter pin and sure enough was able to get a good full turn out of the nut. I tightened it up, re-installed the cotter pin and took it for another spin on the highway again (1 exit). When I got back, I jacked it up and there was no play in the wheels at all, so I am guessing that the bearings weren't fully seated and taking it for a spin set them.

I'm a little nervous about it now though and have a few more questions. As info, it's a 2007 easy hauler (16 foot boat). I bought the boat used, so have no idea how well the bearings were cared for previously, but they looked O.K. when i took it apart.

1. When i touched the hub after the run on the highway, one hub was warm to the touch (not hot), and the other was luke warm. Is that normal?

2. How much does it cost normally to get someone to change the bearings for you. I have a tight budget, but am now wondering if it is a good idea to do.

thanks in advance.

Edited by beertech

You may have that the one side a little too tight?

Tapered roller wheel bearings need to be left just the slightest bit loose; for the sake of heat expansion; you have to leave some room for the boys to grow.

I’m not saying a visible amount of wheel movement like an 8th of an inch; but enough that you can feel that the wheel does have some, when you grasp the top and bottom of the wheel. I guess if you where to measure the wheel movement lets say on a 13 or 14 inch wheel; I’d be happy with a 32nd of an inch.

If the cotter pin slot will not let you install the pin, in the sweet spot between loose and no free play; I would opt for the looser position.

If it’s too loose with the cotter pin installed; you may have to install shims between the washer and the nut or if you’re lucky to find a selection of washers; change up the washer for one with the correct thickness to hit that sweet spot.

Dan.

Thanks. Is it normal for the wheel to be warm to the touch after only a couple of km's?

Pete,

I make a habit of checking my trailer wheel hubs at every coffee stop, etc. I guess I could be considered overly paranoid about it, but I have never felt any heat in the bearing hubs. Even after an hour or so of highway driving, they run cool. I also am fanatical about tire pressure. I find the tires can really get warm when they are under inflated and flex a lot. My trailer wheels are 14" full size. I can't imagine what those little 8" wheels are like. My previous trailer was at least 12" wheels.

Maybe loosen the warm one off a touch and keep an eye on them.

Good luck!