What? No one caught any pike?

I can tell you it wasn't me. The forcast for all around us on Sunday was SUPPOSED to be thunderstorms and windy. Not wanting to risk it we never tried. I hymned and hahd all morning as the sky was sketchy. Instead we decided to go to Kingston and go shopping. Ended up ordering a couple of kayaks for fishing and hunting (can't wait to get them).

All day my girlfriend and I eyed the sky. Not a drop of rain and it was calm. We were both disappointed that we never got out, but still had a great time cruising the big city!!!

Hopefully one night this week I'll have a report. With any luck it will be about my girlfriends first pike, I hope it's a big one!!!!

I always used to go the Islands for opener but given my current location, it's not really feasible. Instead, I fished Superior and caught 5, including a nice 36".

IMGP0344.jpg

It was really windy so I went to a different spot and managed a few rainbows and a bunch of little specks.

IMGP0355.jpg

IMGP0331.jpg

Guest gbfisher

Lots of Pike, a few incidental Musky and Bass and it was indeed an opener to remember. :)

With the rain and lightning no pictures were taken.

Got out with GoneFishin for a morning and nailed a few decent Pike. Don't have a photo of Rick's but it was a 30" r ish.

Lot's of follows with a few missed biggins.

ScreenHunter_03May011501.jpg

Had a few identical to this fish, haha.

Hopefully will try again Friday and or Saturday

Wormdangler is usually first inline for Pike...but he's a home owner now...and to make matters worse got a steady girl friend...

So long Wormy's balls!!! :stretcher:

No! I got the first pike of the season! 5:30am at the max we hooked up with the first, just as the sun was coming up

ScreenHunter_01May011500.jpg

See See!!! :Gonefishing:

I was out in my boat around the Toronto Islands Saturday, Sunday and today. I caught a carp the first day (!) and a nice pike yesterday. No pictures though... I talked to several other guys, both in boats and fishing from shore. They were all catching pike. So they are definitely around!

I was however hoping to see more fish, but it's probably just me not doing it right... Was fishing with various spinners, spoons and Rapala's. Caught the pike on a perch colored Rapala.

I just spoke to a friend, that finished second in the Parry Sound pike derby (Top 50). He caught a PB (39 inches) and he had one at the boat that he missed which he said was @ 50 inches. He was actually happy he didn't land it because he would not have been able to keep it (limit is four with 2 over 34 inches which he already had. ) He said it was the best day he ever had pike fishing and also caught many largemouth bass. Does anybody fish that area and are fish that size typical?

As someone who has never fished for early season pike until this year I'd like to ask what is the key to landing early spring pike? When i went out 2 weeks ago i was slow rollin some spinnerbaits and had follow after follow but the only fish that would commit was a OOS largemouth. I'm heading back out this friday and was just curious as to what will make them commit to my presentation?

I haven't seen any reports for the Pike Opener! Anyone get out? :mellow:

-Ben

Seems like the T.O pike crew isn't reporting or fishing :unsure:

Went to Dalrymple on Saturday and caught small pike on inline spinners, nothing picworthy.

Maybe will try the islands soon.

I was up to the Moon River area on the weekend.

Saturday morning we fished for about 20 minutes before being chased in by lightning and a huge thunderstorm. That lasted till about 11, when we got out again, and tried a few proven spots. The fishing was a little on the tough side post-storm, but we got a few eaters. We braved some more rain, and were rewarded a a few 30 inchers.

Sunday, as we were heading up the channel, we were greeted by the OPP and MNR CO, who were cruising the area checking boats and requisite licenses and cards. The guys were great, very friendly. The Parry Sound Pike tourney brought a few boats down our way, so we weren't alone on the water, but it certainly wasn't crowded. A little more rain, but not enough to keep us off the water. We covered a lot of water, and had some success, but I would still describe the fishing as tough. After lunch, I lost something massive that I hooked on my light spinning gear while trolling. Massive head shakes managed to spit the #10 x-rap I was using. Never saw the fish.

One of our party was fly fishing by himself, and did manage a very beautiful oos 37 in muskie. Gorgeous electric green colour on the fish, which was thick, and very healthy looking.

Sunday late afternoon brought better luck, with a couple of 34 inchers, caught on crankbaits, which I used almost all weekend.

I'll be up again this weekend, and won't forget the camera this time!

if your using a spoon and u get a follower lift the your rod tip 12" and then drop it back down another 24" to allow the spoon to flutter in its face and sometimes u can get a strike. Any other lures, if you can twitch or get them to change directions at all that can help too.

lovetofish

As someone who has never fished for early season pike until this year I'd like to ask what is the key to landing early spring pike? When i went out 2 weeks ago i was slow rollin some spinnerbaits and had follow after follow but the only fish that would commit was a OOS largemouth. I'm heading back out this friday and was just curious as to what will make them commit to my presentation?

Rarely do I find pike in very early season will hit large flashy baits.

At least for me slow and subtle is the key.

For many years my go to spring bait was an 8" black reaper rigged on a suitable jighead.

Presently I'm really liking the new wave of oversized soft plastic swimbaits.

Rigged properly you can work them dead slow even in shallows.They're just deadly.