What? No one caught any pike?

We tried slow rolling spinners and spoons, but slow twitch baits in black and sliver with long pauses took most of the fish, I used the flat rap and a friend used the new max rap which worked great as well, I wish rapala would send me some free baits for the good press, because the only problem is the price on the max raps, 20 bones, ouchh!

Edited by moemoe

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it out on the water today, after working and the weather had kept me out of action so far in May. It was a beautiful day...perfect for kayaking...sunny, warm, calm...and the fish were biting.

I caught 3 pike: a little one, a medium sized one, and a big (for me) one.

All fish were caught within the Toronto Islands in places unreachable by foot. A silver Blue Fox spinner worked its magic in the afternoon after the 5 of Diamonds and a white spinner had struck out in the morning. Trolling and casting at high speed seemed to trigger the hits. I missed 2 others and had a nice one follow and turn away.

The big pike is a personal best for me...it was longer than the 34 inch pike I caught last year and heavier too. Too bad the picture doesn't do it justice. It would have been dangerous for me and the fish to take it out of the net to hold it for a better pic...one disadvantage of kayaking.

All fish were released with ease and swam away strongly.

Pike 1a from Toronto Islands May 2010.jpg

Pike 2 from Toronto Islands May 2010.jpg