I think I'm buying my first Fly Rod tomorrow . . . any suggestions?

Hello All,

After realizing that the bulk of my fishing time is spent around the Conestoga and Grand River watershed in the Fergus to Guelph to Kitchener areas, I've decided that not having a fly rod is just unacceptable. I predominantly fish for brown trout and bass (when they're in season) when I'm fishing the rivers. I have got what I think is a pretty decent offer from a local store and was wondering if any of you could help me out with suggestions before I make the purchase.

The setup:

Rod: 4pc, 5 weight, St. Croix Triumph (Always loved St. Croix, good warranties that they don't cheap you out on). (Roughly $115)

Reel: Metalist (by Pfuelger) - An economic reel that is considered to be a classic that has stood the test of time. (Roughly $40)

Line: Rio (roughly $60)

The store has offered the setup to me with free lessons/demonstrations, free backend, a dozen flies, and leader material for $210 plus tax.

I am looking for any suggestions on this setup before I actually shell out the cash for it.

I intend on tying on a piece of yarn or sponge and practicing to cast a few times before I ever head to the river. I have never fly fished and have done little reading on the subject. I am looking forward to looking into any available resource.

Do you folks think this is a good setup for a beginner? Will it still treat me well after I've started really learning fly-fishing?

Does anyone have any suggestions on the nuances of fly fishing?

Are there "tricks" on learning the art? Things that every fly fisher should know?

I appreciate any help in advance. Links to good websites are appreciated if anyone has anything that has proven helpful!

Thanks as always,

Ryan

Good beginner setup. You might consider a 6wt if fishing SMB. Go for a nine footer too. Four sections is best. 5 year warranty on that rod. If you can afford more get a better rod with the Superstar Service (Imperial or Avid) do so. Check it out on their webs site. Like their Trade-up program.

Good beginner setup. You might consider a 6wt if fishing SMB. Go for a nine footer too. Four sections is best. 5 year warranty on that rod. If you can afford more get a better rod with the Superstar Service (Imperial or Avid) do so. Check it out on their webs site. Like their Trade-up program.

Trade up program? What is that? Can I trade lower model rods for higher ones or what?

I have a 2 piece triumph and am also new to fly fishing. Its a decent rod for the price wish mine was a 4 piece though for easier storage and transportation.

I am still a terrible caster but it takes time, better than when I started.

Anyways sounds like a great deal, I would have jumped on it myself had I seen such a deal available when I went to purchase my first set up.

I initially did a group class 2 years ago before I was set up at Conestoga College which was taught by Ken Collins from Grandriver troutfitters, if you can get lessons through his business I highly recommend it. My only regret was at the time I didn't have the money to get myself going with fly fishing and lost alot of what i learned. But I plan to book at least 4 hrs with one of the guides there this year and improve on my casting.

Also planning on joining KW Flyfishers, its another resource that looks promising for us newbies.

Best of luck

Thats a decent setup for a beginner for sure!

You should also check out the Grand Opportunities forum this june at Belwood Conservation Area. Its entirely free, and there are a bunch of seminars that are very helpful when just starting out!

dave

If you really want a challenge go flyfishing for chickens (less the hook of course)It is the best use I have found for my fly fishing folly.

Art

Flyfishing for chickens :rofl2: Never thought of that.Thanks,I may try it,just for the heck of it. :rofl2:

Any patterns that you can suggest?

I also recommend a heavier fly line. At least a 6 weight. As for the rod, I prefer a 2 piece rod because it will have a better action and lighter in weight. I also suggest a large arbour fly reel that will be lighter in weight than the Medalist. This new tendancy for using light lines is way overrated. I have a bunch of buddies who are very disappointed in their 5 and 6 weight fly rods because they have trouble getting any distance when casting. If they want to cast larger nymphes or streamers over size 6....they are even more disappointed. Those light rods are for fishing in creeks....out of the wind with small flies. Start out with a 7 weight rod that is 9 feet long. You will be able to use the rod for bass fishing with decent sized poppers and streamers.

If you want to fish small creeks....then buy a 8 or 8 1/2 foot 4 weight rod and then use a 5 weight line. This way you will be able to make those short casts that creek fishing demands.

I have a 2 piece triumph and am also new to fly fishing. Its a decent rod for the price wish mine was a 4 piece though for easier storage and transportation.

I am still a terrible caster but it takes time, better than when I started.

Anyways sounds like a great deal, I would have jumped on it myself had I seen such a deal available when I went to purchase my first set up.

I initially did a group class 2 years ago before I was set up at Conestoga College which was taught by Ken Collins from Grandriver troutfitters, if you can get lessons through his business I highly recommend it. My only regret was at the time I didn't have the money to get myself going with fly fishing and lost alot of what i learned. But I plan to book at least 4 hrs with one of the guides there this year and improve on my casting.

Also planning on joining KW Flyfishers, its another resource that looks promising for us newbies.

Best of luck

Thanks for the great post! :clapping: I'm out of Elmira and will look into KW Flyfishers for sure. What waters do you fish the most Torco?

As for the setup that I bought, I upgraded to the St. Croix Rio Santo 4 pc 6 Weight 9' fly rod. He gave me the upgrade with soft case for another $5. The Rio is the New Model Triumph and is apparently improved. At the very least the Rio is a Triumph with the Superstar service package.

Eric @ Fishing Fanatics was nice enough to take me outside and show me the mechanics of a standard fly cast. He said that when I've got that down that I should come back in and he'll show me how to haul the line effectively. I practiced at home last night and went to Elora Gorge today and tried it on the water (why not right?). I could have practiced more at the store but I had an angry girlfriend waiting in the car ahaha. :blahblah1:

I CAUGHT TWO HUGE BROWNS (and lost another)!** (20+ inches on each - pictures on disposable but coming soon)

** The browns were caught on my spinning outfit after I decided to put the fly rod practice session down for the day. :whistling:

Do you have contact information for KW flyfishers?

Ryan

Thats a decent setup for a beginner for sure!

You should also check out the Grand Opportunities forum this june at Belwood Conservation Area. Its entirely free, and there are a bunch of seminars that are very helpful when just starting out!

dave

Hey Dave . . . Thanks for the pointer. I will most certainly check that out. I was at Elora for most of the day today and picked up my 2010 GRCA pass, so I won't even have to pay my 4,25 to get that lesson.

I also recommend a heavier fly line. At least a 6 weight. As for the rod, I prefer a 2 piece rod because it will have a better action and lighter in weight. I also suggest a large arbour fly reel that will be lighter in weight than the Medalist. This new tendancy for using light lines is way overrated. I have a bunch of buddies who are very disappointed in their 5 and 6 weight fly rods because they have trouble getting any distance when casting. If they want to cast larger nymphes or streamers over size 6....they are even more disappointed. Those light rods are for fishing in creeks....out of the wind with small flies. Start out with a 7 weight rod that is 9 feet long. You will be able to use the rod for bass fishing with decent sized poppers and streamers.

If you want to fish small creeks....then buy a 8 or 8 1/2 foot 4 weight rod and then use a 5 weight line. This way you will be able to make those short casts that creek fishing demands.

Thanks for the post Dabluz. I went with a 6 weight. Through my own research, and the amount of brown fishing that I do, I determined it was a good all round line to begin with. I will explore other reels as my experience guides me. I'll keep the Arbour reel in mind next time I'm shopping (which is often . . . always).

Your post got me thinking of the fly rod and reel I have from my father. It's very old and I need to upgrade the reel for sure (as it's from the 70's or older) and hasn't been serviced since. In fact, never used... So I don't know what line to use on this rod and what reel to pair it up with but I took it out back (with the old reel and old line) to see if I could cast it. I was shocked that it wasn't that hard to do. Maybe that's because I fish many ways and the motion (incl the pause) is like the way I.... whip a golf club :rolleyes: but that's neither here nor there.

I just want to thank you for your post as it got me up off my :asshat: to try something I didn't think I would be able to do. Now I can't wait to try it out fishing on the boat, river or any place. Thanks.

Geoff

Your post got me thinking of the fly rod and reel I have from my father. It's very old and I need to upgrade the reel for sure (as it's from the 70's or older) and hasn't been serviced since. In fact, never used... So I don't know what line to use on this rod and what reel to pair it up with but I took it out back (with the old reel and old line) to see if I could cast it. I was shocked that it wasn't that hard to do. Maybe that's because I fish many ways and the motion (incl the pause) is like the way I.... whip a golf club :rolleyes: but that's neither here nor there.

I just want to thank you for your post as it got me up off my :asshat: to try something I didn't think I would be able to do. Now I can't wait to try it out fishing on the boat, river or any place. Thanks.

Geoff

Glad you found it helpful Geoff! Nothing like dusting off the really old rods to see how they did it "back in the day." I always go through them and feel the difference . . . started going to antique shops and flea markets looking for old ones too. Good luck on the fly (I'll probably need that luck more.)

Glad you found it helpful Geoff! Nothing like dusting off the really old rods to see how they did it "back in the day." I always go through them and feel the difference . . . started going to antique shops and flea markets looking for old ones too. Good luck on the fly (I'll probably need that luck more.)

Naw, after you find that pause as you go to let line out you should be "golden". I'm sure you will do well as this was the 1st time I tried the rood 'n reel and felt okay with it. youtube is your friend when it comes to new casting styles and tips... I can't wait for your first post (mine to, but I need to find time to use this additional tool too) when you land a fish. HAVE FUN.

Geoff

Also: as long as your not "antiqueing" because you have too and use the "pill" to make "antiqueing" go away, it's all good, right?

Thanks for the great post! :clapping: I'm out of Elmira and will look into KW Flyfishers for sure. What waters do you fish the most Torco?

As for the setup that I bought, I upgraded to the St. Croix Rio Santo 4 pc 6 Weight 9' fly rod. He gave me the upgrade with soft case for another $5. The Rio is the New Model Triumph and is apparently improved. At the very least the Rio is a Triumph with the Superstar service package.

Eric @ Fishing Fanatics was nice enough to take me outside and show me the mechanics of a standard fly cast. He said that when I've got that down that I should come back in and he'll show me how to haul the line effectively. I practiced at home last night and went to Elora Gorge today and tried it on the water (why not right?). I could have practiced more at the store but I had an angry girlfriend waiting in the car ahaha. :blahblah1:

I CAUGHT TWO HUGE BROWNS (and lost another)!** (20+ inches on each - pictures on disposable but coming soon)

** The browns were caught on my spinning outfit after I decided to put the fly rod practice session down for the day. :whistling:

Do you have contact information for KW flyfishers?

Ryan

Nice sounds like a super deal.I will look into going to fishing fanatics for my next set up I would like 7 or 8 weight to try for steelhead and throwing bigger flies for bass and pike. Hopefully that will be christmas time. First I need to master my 5 weight.

hey so far mostly just in around town here in guelph. I have only done the grand once, but I plan to get out there more frequently this year. I have also gone to the credit. If you are ever looking for a fishing partner on the grand shoot me a message, I actually don't know too many guys that fly fish which is what got me looking for club.

I have not had a chance to get to a meeting for the KW club mostly because we had our first baby in March and my evenings have been busy the first 6 weeks.

Anyways they meet the 1st tuesday of every month in Kitchener and have a bunch of other activities for members & non-members including casting clinics and tutorials on the grand. They have a meeting tonight which I will likely again miss at 7:30. Here is a link to the website http://kwflyfishers.com/index.html

$30 a year membership which seems reasonable.

Can't wait to see the pictures of those browns!

LOL and if she is angry now wait until you are married man! I use to have all kinds of time to fish but now I have an endless list of things that need to be done.... :blahblah1: