rod repair

kickingfrog

After seeing DouG's experience with Angling Specialties and his rod, I thought I'd see for myself.

I have a rod or two that are worth more to me then I could sell them for and I would like them fixed. A search on the net lists 3 locations for AS in the GTA, Concord is the closest one to me. Do all three stores offer the same services? If so, is the service quality the same? No need to slag someone here if you are not a fan, just send me a pm.

Is there someone closer to Barrie that does quality work?

Thanks guys,

Out of the 3 Angling Specialties locations, only the Concord store (Tom + his wife) and the Scarborough store (George) do repairs (that is if you require more than a new tip top) - They're also the ones who do the custom rods. If you were to send the rod into the Mississauga location, it will most likely be sent to the Concord location for repairs.

As far as quality goes, I've known George for 20yrs having lived down the street from his store most of my life - He was the one to teach me how to build rods when I was a kid. I'm very familiar with his work as I'm usually there once or twice a week to fondle new rods in progress :D He's been my goto guy for getting handles done since I became allergic to epoxy.

Hard to go wrong with either of the Cheng brothers

Is Paul a Mr. Cheng, too? Three brothers owning this market niche is genious. GoodOnYa.

5 brothers all together - 4 of which work in the stores

Tom - Concord store

Tony - Works in all 3 stores on the brothers' day off

Paul - Mississauga

George - Scarborough

Guest gbfisher

5 brothers all together - 4 of which work in the stores

Tom - Concord store

Tony - Works in all 3 stores on the brothers' day off

Paul - Mississauga

George - Scarborough

I was fishing with Tom a couple weeks back now. We had a conversation about getting rods repaired. Sounds like he does a good job because the other person I was fishing with has stuck with Angling Specialties for years now just for that simple reason.

As I just mentioned in Doug's post Rob I be happy to help but the distance from Barrie to Hamilton is just a little too far considering the price of gas and or postal rates. The best option is to find someone close to home.

As I just mentioned in Doug's post Rob I be happy to help but the distance from Barrie to Hamilton is just a little too far considering the price of gas and or postal rates. The best option is to find someone close to home.

Or invite me down to go fishin' in some of your spots while you work on the fishing rod. :rofl2:

You were my first thought Spiel, and if it was a rod that was worth some serious money it would be going to you.

kickinfrog there is a tackle store in Wasaga Beach that might be able to help.Don't know them personally, but was speaking with a guy on the river and he is getting a custom rod made from them. They are called Phat Buoyz Tackle ph# is (705) 352-0615. Hope this helps.

Or invite me down to go fishin' in some of your spots while you work on the fishing rod. :rofl2:

Invite me down and I will be happy to repair your rod....have built about 2 dozen over the years...took a class on rod building about 30 years ago...LOL...I know that's even before graphite....LOL......but I'm pretty good at it and making my own jigs for the last 30 years...hopefully the Canadian/US Dollar will get better to make it more attractive to fish Ontario this year.

Bob