Smoked trout

Paully

I plan on keeping a trout for the smoker.. What should i do to prepare it?

I think I would just try to convince it that it's not that hot in the smoker.

Sorry I can't help you. I'm a newbie when it comes to smoking fish.

Depends on what your preference and the amount of time you're willing to wait ;)

You should soak your fish in a salt brine over night before smoking

But Personally... I gravlax!

The amount of time needed to salt sure will depend on the thickness of your fillet.

50/50 mix of salt and Sugar (I use maple sugar)

Comletely cover both sides of the fillet and place on a wire rack on a backing sheet uncovered in the fridge.

12 hours later flip the fillet allowing the moistue to drip away onto the pan, and sprinkle more Gravlax mix on top.Place back in the fridge over night.

-For a 1" thick fillet your cure time should be 24 hours

-Anything under 12 hours will do

(You'll know its good to go when the fillet is firm to the touch as you go to pick it up)

Completely pat the fillet dry, and remove as much salt as possible.

In a new pan or bowl cover the fillet in Pure maple Syrup and soak for one day.

(or 12 hours depending on the thickness)

Whipe the fillet dry, and brush once more with fresh maple syrup, and crust the fillet with crushed black pepper.

Smoke for 2.5 hours at 160.

The dryer you like your fish...lower the temp and increase the cook time.

Its all about experimenting to ones taste buds though so have fun.

Cheers,

From the other post: Fillets laid in a glass or stainless pan, sprinkle pickling salt, refridgerate overnight, rinse clean next morning, place on racks, into the smoker for 4-6 hours depending size and outdoor temps. Real smoked fish doesn't is ruined by a spicerack.

One more thing, I always find that fresh unfrozen fish is better.

I built a smoker last fall and have been refining a simple brine my buddy gave me

Dissolve together

1 part water

1 part light soya

1 part brown sugar

1/2 part maple syrup

1/2 part Sweet Thai Sauce

I usually measure in cups, so 1 cup water, 1 cup light soya,....

Place fillets meat side down in a tupperware container and make enough brine to cover. Move the fillets aroundso they don't stick together. Place in fridge for 24-48 hours

Im my smoker it take 6-8 hours at 170F for best results. If your just starting the best tip I could give you is start on the low temp side and work up. You don't want tons of smoke pouring out all at once. Your chips should smolder away slowly. My first couple of batches almost brought out the fire truck until i turned down the burner. Too much smoke will turn the fish really dark.

If ya can't catch one and are itchin to try out the smoker, you can always get a couple of small fillets from the store. Some of the Sobeys stores carry whole frozen mackeral, thaw, knock out the guts, and do a simple brine like above, smoke for about 5-6 hours, not rainbow or salmon, but pretty darn good.

Thats the hardest part LOL...

This spring has been one of the best for me.. thats whats got me thinking bout keeping one!

I got a 6-7lb one tonight but let it go.. A smaller one would be much better im guessing.